Internet browser redirects and excessive display of pop-up ads are common to programs that are infected with a potentially unwanted application (PUA). Apart from these disturbances, unwanted program that is residing on the computer can be the root for additional malware infection especially when it initiates a successive redirects that mean to drive browser program to landing page containing malicious objects. One app that possesses these characteristics is called TotalConsoleSearch Daemon.
More about TotalConsoleSearch Daemon
This is a computer threat that specifically targets internet browsers on Mac OS. Arising from the family of adware where DigitalSearchAppDaemon, SmartFunctionSearchApp, and WebFunctionSearch are also a member, TotalConsoleSearch Daemon is anticipated to bring the same troubles and annoyances on internet application. Adware such as this is the usual cause of aggressive pop-up ads and persistent redirects. Mac OS is very much aware of this adware pattern and therefore, Mac user may occasionally witness system warning like “TotalConsoleSearchDaemon will damage your computer.”
TotalConsoleSearch Daemon infection
The usual way for this unwanted program to enter Mac computer is by embedding the code to several free programs that can be obtained from different servers and host. Be careful because the carrier file is not only seen on bad websites. Even legitimate file repositories are invaded by the dubious freeware that carries TotalConsoleSearch Daemon.
On other infection cases, Mac user claims that TotalConsoleSearch Daemon was able to penetrate the computer after installing a software update showing up on the browser page. These pop-ups are normally online ads that were crafted to appear as valid system warning. The trick is, it disguises as valid alert message from certain application requiring immediate download of the software update to fix any conflicts on the computer. Below is the screenshot image of fake software update page.
Knowing that TotalConsoleSearch Daemon is an illicit type of application and there is no benefit for having it on the browser, there is no reason for not removing this suspicious app. Its presence could lead to much greater trouble like additional adware or malware infection. Furthermore, it diminishes browsing performance due to continuous display of ads and redirects.
Procedures to Remove TotalConsoleSearch Daemon from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like TotalConsoleSearch Daemon. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing TotalConsoleSearch Daemon.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete TotalConsoleSearch Daemon from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find TotalConsoleSearch Daemon or any unwanted program.
4. Drag TotalConsoleSearch Daemon to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to TotalConsoleSearch Daemon
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located TotalConsoleSearch Daemon, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed TotalConsoleSearch Daemon
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- com.TotalConsoleSearch Daemon
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- TotalConsoleSearch, Adload
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing TotalConsoleSearch Daemon to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- TotalConsoleSearch, Adload
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to TotalConsoleSearch Daemon adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including TotalConsoleSearch Daemon.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, TotalConsoleSearch Daemon is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove TotalConsoleSearch Daemon from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove TotalConsoleSearch Daemon from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing TotalConsoleSearch Daemon. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace TotalConsoleSearch Daemon settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by TotalConsoleSearch Daemon. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select TotalConsoleSearch Daemon or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with TotalConsoleSearch Daemon.
Protect you Mac against TotalConsoleSearch Daemon
Having an effective and powerful anti-virus or anti-malware program provides high-quality protection against TotalConsoleSearch Daemon or any similar threats. However, Mac user must not solely rely on its real-time scanning. Being vigilant while online still helps a lot in preventing any online malware attacks. In addition, Mac user should stay away from malicious sites and freeware that are now occupying big chunk of the internet, meant only to harm browser programs and computer systems in general.