Adware is a type of computer nuisance that almost dominate the threat geography, sharing the limelight with similar widespread ransomware infections. Fortunately, adware is not too hazardous. Its main target is to infiltrate internet browser applications like Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge. Once adware gets inside the target application, it restructures the behavior of internet program and completely disregards user’s preferences. One example of adware that is presently active in targeting browsers particularly those that are operating on Mac OS is called PROMANAGER RECORD.
More about PROMANAGER RECORD App
Developers of PROMANAGER RECORD are the same people who formed similar threats as AphroditeTechResults, SearchForWords, and many more. The objective behind these browser pests boils down to the idea of cyber offenders to generate profit by taking the control of internet program. Because the takeover is obviously not favorable to Mac users, actors behind this threat resorts to different tactics to silently enter the Mac system and intrude the target browser application.
First of the most favored contributors in the successful deployment of PROMANAGER RECORD are malicious software bundles typically in disguise as worthy freeware or shareware. While Mac users liberally acquires and loads these free apps without spending a penny, attackers are watching from afar and waiting for the victims to integrate PROMANAGER RECORD onto their browser program without them knowing. Because PROMANAGER RECORD app is an inclusion to the main freeware, it adopts the same administrative privilege assigned to the host app. Therefore, PROMANAGER RECORD bypass the installation permission stage with no effort. In addition to that, Mac users may also acquire PROMANAGER RECORD by disguising itself as software update for Adobe products, see image below.
The moment that PROMANAGER RECORD is active on the browser, Mac user will start to see its forceful response to online browsing and searching. It hijacks homepage and search engine to promote affiliated search tool that is unknown and suspicious. At the time that PROMANAGER RECORD is handling the search function, there will be noticeable series of redirects on the browser program before it issues the final search outcome on Yahoo or Google. Attacker’s motive behind this is to receive monetary benefits simply by forcing Mac users to utilize the third party search provider.
In addition to redirects, there will be continuous flow of pop-up ads that runs a pay-per-click scheme. Meaning, every clicks gained have equal revenue for authors. So, the ads reflected by PROMANAGER RECORD are so rampant because attackers have higher chance of attracting click by exhibiting a rotation of different ad types.
PROMANAGER RECORD app also gains revenue by driving internet traffic to affiliated sites where the scheme is able to convert referrals into money. So basically, the more traffic it redirects, the higher payout these crooks can get. On Mac user’s side, this is not healthy because majority of destination sites are filled with adware and malware that can easily contaminate Mac computer if accidentally accessed.
How to safeguard Mac against PROMANAGER RECORD adware?
Given the source of infection above, it is basically straightforward to prevent the PROMANAGER RECORD infection. Keeping out from malicious file download sites and torrent portals shuts down a possible entry point for this adware. In addition, avoid on accessing or clicking aggressive pop-up ads especially those that originates while viewing questionable sites. Above all, securing Mac with effective anti-virus or anti-malware software is the best defense against PROMANAGER RECORD adware infection.
Procedures to Remove PROMANAGER RECORD from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like PROMANAGER RECORD. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing PROMANAGER RECORD.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete PROMANAGER RECORD from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find PROMANAGER RECORD or any unwanted program.
4. Drag PROMANAGER RECORD to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to PROMANAGER RECORD
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located PROMANAGER RECORD, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed PROMANAGER RECORD
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- com.PROMANAGER RECORD
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- PROMANAGER RECORD Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing PROMANAGER RECORD to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- PROMANAGER RECORD Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to PROMANAGER RECORD adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including PROMANAGER RECORD.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, PROMANAGER RECORD is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove PROMANAGER RECORD from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove PROMANAGER RECORD from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing PROMANAGER RECORD. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace PROMANAGER RECORD settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by PROMANAGER RECORD. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select PROMANAGER RECORD or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with PROMANAGER RECORD.