Trovi.com is a typical home page hijacker that normally enters the computer through third-party programs. Aside from overtaking the home page, this adware can also add Trovi Toolbar into the browser bearing various icons and shortcut links. In general, Trovi.com comes packed to various freeware like games, multi-media player, tools and utilities. Adware can be installed on the system by default if user is not careful enough in excluding other items during the install process.
There may be instances that installation of Trovi.com is caused by malware that may have injected harmful code into the browser. Links where to acquire malware may have been clicked while you are browsing social media sites or opening spam email messages.
During the presence of the adware, you home page will be set to Trovi.com, an unknown search that produces annoying ads. Some of the search result links will get redirected to various web sites that are part of the advertising network supported by Trovi.com makers.
As you can see, adware authors are making use of unwanted search to earn profit in a fraudulent manner. It forces victims to utilize the unknown search in order to their ads to appear on the computer screen. Pay-per-view advertising module is applied on this type of endorsement that do not require user to click on ads in order to generate revenue for people behind Trovi.com.
Online Security Scanner Report for Trovi.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Jan. 06, 2014|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: N/A||Updated: Jan. 06, 2014|
|Currently safe||Ratings: 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes||Updated: Jan. 06, 2014|
Different anti-virus and anti-malware programs may name this threat according to their patterns. Here are some detection names: PUP.Optional.Trovi.A
How to Remove Trovi.com Adware
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Trovi.com
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Trovi entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently. You may uninstall FriendFinder or any Fabook-related software.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below. Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Trovi.com. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Trovi.com from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Trovi.com on the affected browser.
Procedures to Remove Trovi from Mac
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Trovi
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Trovi, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Trovi
1. Navigate to the location given below and move the item to the Trash.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Trovi to be present on your Mac.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download the TSMART tool from this link:
Click here to download TSMART (this will open a new window)
2. Run Adware Removal Tool for Mac. It will check for updates and download if there is most recent version.
3. If it prompts to close all opened web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. The tool will begin to scan the system and remove any adware it finds. Please note that identified malicious items are moved to Trash so that you can still recover if it mistakenly deleted valid files.
5. If everything is well, please Empty the Trash to totally get rid of Trovi.
Post Last Modified On August 28, 2014