This topic covers the removal of adware from Internet Explorer browser. Most users who required this procedure are those that were affected with malware or potentially unwanted program. Normally, malware and adware are injecting add-ons onto the browser in order to redirect web sites or display unwanted pop-up ads.
As long as adware and any potentially unwanted program are present on Internet Explorer, the whole system it at risk. Additional adware can be downloaded automatically using scripts embedded on the browser. You may also experience browser hijacking issues with the sheer intention of delivering dangerous web pages. It is vital to clean Internet Explorer at this point and remove all adware and malware from the computer.
Procedures to remove Adware from Internet Explorer
Technical expertise about computer troubleshooting is not essential to effectively remove adware from Internet Explorer. You just have to carefully execute what are stated on the procedures and utilize tools as recommended below. Keep in mind to download tools and software only from official web page as stated on this guide.
Step 1 : Manually remove malicious Add-on from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer web browser. On top menu go to Tools, select Manage Add-ons from the list. It will open a window showing add-ons currently installed.
2. On the left panel, select Toolbars and Extensions. On the right panel, choose adware or any relevant items and click on Disable.
3. On the same area, select Search Providers on left panel. On the right panel, choose Google, Bing or any preferred Search Engine and click on Set as default.
4. Select adware, and click on Remove. Close the current window.
5. Lastly, change your home page to a web address of your choice. Go to Tools, select Internet Options.
6. Under General tab, locate the ‘Home page’ section. Type your preferred address to be the new home page replacing the corrupt adware. Click OK button to save the changes.
Step 2 : Run Microsoft Fix It for Internet Explorer Add-on
1. Visit Microsoft Fix It for IE Add-on here and click on Run Now.
2. Click on Accept when Microsoft Fix It launches a window.
3. The tool will install several items on the computer. And then, it will give options on how you want to go on with the tool.
4. Select “Detect problems and let me select the fixes to apply.”
5. The tool will begin to inspect Internet Explorer for presence of malicious items.
6. After the scan, select unwanted programs from the list and apply the fix.
Optional : Totally Reset Internet Explorer with Microsoft Fix It 50195
If the procedures above didn’t resolve the issue, you last recourse is to force a complete reset on Internet Explorer. This procedure will reset all changes made by malware. In addition, Microsoft Fix It 50195 also resets home page, search providers, and deletes stored data on history, cookies, and so on.
1. Click this link to download Fix It 50195 from Microsoft web site.
2. Run the tool as soon as downloading is done.
3. On initial launch, the tool will present you with License Terms. Be sure to mark I Agree. Click Next to proceed.
4. The tool will create a Restore Point to save your current configuration of Windows. Then, it will display settings window.
5. Put a check mark on Delete Personal Settings and click Reset button to give you a fresh copy of Internet Explorer.
Step 3 : Use AdwCleaner to remove adware from the computer.
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to adware or malware. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 4 : Scan the computer with Malwarebytes Anti-malware
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Click here to download MBAM (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBAM-SETUP.EXE to run the program.
3. Select desired installation language when it prompts you. Then, click OK.
4. On the welcome screen, it will ask you to close all opened programs and disable ant-virus and firewall, please do so to avoid conflicts. Then click Next.
5. Next window is about License Agreement, you must accept this and click the Next button. Proceed with the succeeding prompts until you reach the window Ready to Install. Click on Install button.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. Leave “Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware” with check mark. Then, click on Finish to run the program.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Threat Scan. Click on Scan Now button to begin the process. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.