PUA.Downloader is a type of potentially unwanted program that may install other threats when run into the computer. This is a name given by Symantec to identify computer threat that is linked to Unwanted programs are software that intends to implicate changes on the computer or browser without asking for user's approval. In this case, PUA.Downloader may install other adware, toolbars, browser redirect, and hijack the home page of affected browser.
PUA.Downloader files and codes can be acquired by user from ranges of sources. Malicious links, spam email messages, or Peer-to-peer connection can lead to the infection. It may also be dropped onto your PC by threats like Trojans, viruses, or malware.
When PUA.Downloader is present on the computer, it will make various changes. In particular, potentially unwanted programs are targeting Internet browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Changes will be carried out by PUA.Downloader by adding add-on, extension, or plug-in. This may result to the integration of toolbar or unknown search engine.
Aside from mentioned changes on the PC, PUA.Downloader also installs files and folders. It can also make registry changes to load itself during Windows start-up.
How can you remove PUA.Downloader?
To totally remove PUA.Downloader from the computer and get rid of relevant adware, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
First step: Scan the computer with Norton Power Eraser
1. Download Norton Power Eraser from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file NPE.EXE to run the program.
3. You will be prompted with End User License Agreement. Please click on Accept to continue.
4. Norton Power Eraser will check for the most recent version. Then, the main window will appear. Click on Scan for Risks to the scan and removal process for PUA.Downloader.
5. By default, Norton Power Eraser was configured to perform rootkit scan. This is essential to get rid of PUA.Downloader or other relevant malware. To accomplish this, you will need to restart the computer. Please click Restart button.
6. After restarting Windows, the program will check for possible database update and then, proceeds with the scan. It may take a while, please wait for the scan process to complete.
7. Once scanning is done, Norton Power Eraser will display a list of threats including PUA.Downloader. Review identified threats and remove/repair them from the PC by clicking on Fix Now button.
8. If you are prompted to restart the computer in order to complete the virus removal process, please click on Restart Now.
Second step: Run Sophos Virus Remover to ensure that no more PUA.Downloader is left on the PC
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the instllation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a Welcome Screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose 'I accept the terms in the license agreement'. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to PUA.Downloader. It also detects and removes other malicious files.