Windows 8 and Windows 10/11 systems have built-in Windows Security to help you protect the computer from malware and other kind of threats. This tool was made to detect and remove Trojans, viruses, spyware, adware, and other types of malicious programs.
Once you start the PC, Windows Security runs in the background and start to protect your computer. When a threat is detected, it will notify you and request to take specific action for identified security risks. Same with other anti-virus software, you can use Windows Security to scan the PC for malware if something suspicious is noticed.
How to use Windows Defender (Windows 8)?
Disclaimer: By downloading and using this tool, you are considered to have read the owner’s disclaimer and agreed to terms and conditions as declared on the official web site.
1. Tap or click the Search Charm on Windows Taskbar
2. Search for defender, and then double-click the Windows Defender program to open.
3. On Home tab of Windows Defender, click preferred scan option and click Scan Now to start checking the computer for presence of malware.
How to use Windows Security (Windows 10/11)?
1. On Windows Taskbar, type Windows Security on the Search bar.
2. Click on the Windows Security from the list of applications.
3. Once inside the Windows Security window, click on Virus & Threat Protection.
4. Click on the Quick Scan button to perform fast cleanup.
5. Even though Quick Scan is often reliable in finding and deleting known viruses, we still encourage running a Full Scan, which you can execute by clicking on the Scan Options link.
Windows Defender (Windows 8) or Windows Security (Windows 10/11) is included in the system as replacement for Microsoft Security Essentials. You cannot use this program on lower versions of Windows. For Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP1 and SP2), and Windows 7, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials to clean viruses from the computer.