Windows 8 and Windows 10/11 systems have built-in Windows Security to help you protect the computer from malware and other kind of threats. This tool was made to detect and remove Trojans, viruses, spyware, adware, and other types of malicious programs.
Once you start the PC, Windows Security runs in the background and start to protect your computer. When a threat is detected, it will notify you and request to take specific action for identified security risks. Same with other anti-virus software, you can use Windows Security to scan the PC for malware if something suspicious is noticed.
How to use Windows Defender (Windows 8)?
Disclaimer: By downloading and using this tool, you are considered to have read the owner’s disclaimer and agreed to terms and conditions as declared on the official web site.
1. Tap or click the Search Charm on Windows Taskbar
2. Search for defender, and then double-click the Windows Defender program to open.
3. On Home tab of Windows Defender, click preferred scan option and click Scan Now to start checking the computer for presence of malware.
How to use Windows Security (Windows 10/11)?
1. On Windows Taskbar, type Windows Security on the Search bar.
2. Click on the Windows Security from the list of applications.
3. Once inside the Windows Security window, click on Virus & Threat Protection.
4. Click on the Quick Scan button to perform fast cleanup.
5. Even though Quick Scan is often reliable in finding and deleting known viruses, we still encourage running a Full Scan, which you can execute by clicking on the Scan Options link.
Windows Defender (Windows 8) or Windows Security (Windows 10/11) is included in the system as replacement for Microsoft Security Essentials. You cannot use this program on lower versions of Windows. For Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP1 and SP2), and Windows 7, you can use Microsoft Security Essentials to clean viruses from the computer.
7 thoughts on “Windows Defender (Windows Security) – Free Scanner”
I want to remove this worm from my computer: JS/Bondat.A!Ink
Windows Defender seems unable to remove the Trojan:Win32/Dynamer!ac. I ran the full scan it showed the Trojan, when I use the removal tool, it freezes at about the 70% mark and though it shows it is still scanning it won’t go past that threshold. It has been running for over an hour and there is no progress on the removal tool. Any ideas?
Michael, how about booting Windows in SafeMode, then run the scan from there?
does not work no removal I tried all options nothing will remove this worm except a full clean out and reinstallation windows defender – crap. This worm was downloaded and installed from PAPADOOK CAMERA-AVOID AT ALL COSTS-the worm keeps multiplying
Whenever I refresh my laptop Windows 10, it get stuck/freeze. No problem when I am surfing YouTube, but it freeze when I use right-click of mouse or refresh, it freezes.
I have tried to remove the virus PUA:Win32/Presenoker several times and yet it still persists and will not go away. I even waited three to four hours for the scrubber to scan all the files. Can i get advice from a pro on how to get this virus thing gone?
Have you tried booting the computer in SafeMode before running the scan?
Here is the reference from Microsoft website.