Topi ransomware is very similar to Reha, Nosu, and Kodc. These malicious software are included in DJVU ransomware family. If you are still not aware on this kind of computer threat, ransomware are the type of virus that cyber criminal are utilizing to encrypt files on target computer. The victims are forced to purchase a decryption tool and private key to be used for decryption of all encrypted files. This can also be considered as the “ransom fee”.
You can recognize an infected file because this ransomware virus will add .topi extension to all encrypted files whether photos, documents, or databases. For example, instead of spreadsheet.xls, it will transform into spreadsheet.xls.topi once encrypted.
Also, Topi developers will notify the victim through a note within the file named _Readme.txt. It contains message stating that majority of files are locked and inaccessible unless a ransom fee is transmitted to attackers. Another thing is, only way to decrypt all infected files is by means of using a decryption tool and private key combination, which is only provided by Topi developers. It is a unique unlocking tool, which can be purchased only from them ranging the price from $490 to $980. Obviously, this is the primary way for Topi developers to generate income. Ransom cost may vary depends on Topi developers and how long the victims will contact the hackers, the sooner, the better. Topi developers offers 50% discount for victims who are able to contact them within the 72 hours period after the initial infection. The victims are instructed to email a copy of personal ID together with one attached file which Topi developers can decrypt free of charge as a way to show that they are capable of restoring the files to its original format.
Unfortunately, not all ransomware developers are complying even their demands are met. For instance, the victim already sent the ransom fee but attackers may still hold back the decryption tool and request for additional payment. Another instance is that, the victim have already settled the ransom money Topi developers are still not sending the tool in exchange, maybe because there isn’t really a tool to deliver.
Topi ransomware is a way to scam and exploit its victims for revenue purposes. If in case you encounter this kind of cyber crime, do not trust the attackers. There is a free way to recover files and that is to restore it from a back up or wait for malware researchers to discover a free tool.
How to Remove Topi Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Topi virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like alternative tool, Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Anti-Malware Tool
1. Download free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Carry out the installation with default setup process.
4. After the installation process, click the Get Started button to launch the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On the main console, click on Scan to run most complete detection method to find hidden objects associated to Topi ransomware.
7. Scanning may take a while. Please wait until the anti-malware tool is done with the checking.
8. Once the scan has completed, the tool will display the list of detected threats. Remove all identified malicious items and restart the computer if necessary.
Stage 2: Double-check for Topi’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Topi ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Topi ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Topi ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with Topi Decryption Tool
Tools that may decrypt files infected by Topi is not yet available at this time. We will update this section once the tool is on hand. In the meantime, please try the options below.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Topi ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Topi Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Topi ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Topi ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.