Snap.do is often called as browser hijacker due to its power of redirecting your home page to search.snap.do. It is a custom search that was found worthless by many computer users. Hence, getting redirected to this domain is annoying. In fact many users named it as Snap.do virus.
Visiting snap.do web site, you may read that the program allegedly made to simplify the way people used the web. In real life, this adware is bothersome to most computer users who came across with it. In fact, Snap.do doesn’t need one’s approval to get installed on the computer. It is installed with unethical method via other program that user have voluntarily downloaded. In that sense, Snap.do will get installed without user’s willingness.
Snap.do is known as vicious program that comes bundled with many risky files like malware tools, internet browser add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbar. Freeware, Torrents, Codecs, Multimedia Player and Shareware may be wrapped with Snap.do at all times.
To keep Snap.do away from the computer, you should be vigilant on all actions you will be doing while online. Download only necessary programs if possible and avoid using files from risky sources.
How to Remove Snap.do from Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox
Stage 1: Remove any Trojans and Viruses from the Computer
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit as well as malware that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from this page. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
2. Once the download completes, double-click the file to install the program on the computer. It will update the database once installations has finished. Internet connection is required at this point.
3. After downloading necessary updates, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
4. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below. Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Snap.do. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Snap.do Add-on or Extension and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Snap.do from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Snap.do on the affected browser.
Optional: Cleanup Internet Browser’s Shortcut Link
One method that starts your home page to unwanted address like search.snap.do is by integrating the link to browser’s shortcut link. On this section, we will discuss the proper removal of unwanted entries on shortcut link.
Cleaning Internet Explorer’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Internet Explorer and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Internet Explorer.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to search.snap.do. Please refer to image below.
Cleaning Google Chrome’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Google Chrome and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Google Chrome.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to search.snap.do. Please see image below for your reference.
Cleaning Mozilla Forefox’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Mozilla Firefox and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Mozilla Firefox.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to search.snap.do. See screenshot image below.