TuneupMyMac is a computer program that targets Macintosh-based systems. This potentially unwanted program may arrive on the computer without user’s knowledge. TuneupMyMac may come with adware and other software bundles that routinely spread over the internet to distribute malicious programs.
On the main website of TuneupMyMac, it is marketed as a powerful tool with advanced features. It claims to help enhance Mac speed with ease and improve user experience right after you load it onto the computer. As the website states, TuneupMyMac can clean your Mac in a single click, free-up space on hard drive, remove junk files, and delete sensitive data for your own safety.
TuneupMyMac seems to be a useful tool, however, due to its association with various adware and PUP’s, security experts find it disturbing to see this program running on the computer. In addition, TuneupMyMac runs a scan and produces tricky results. It aims to deceive computer users via these mockery scans that try to convince them into upgrading the program to a paid registered version.
As you can observe, TuneupMyMac is a program that was made simply to be sold without any valid attestation to its effectiveness. Thus, we cannot declare that it is safe to install the program and let it be your default Mac OS enhancement tool.
If you share similar findings with us and wanted to remove TuneupMyMac from the computer, we have outlined and easy-to-follow procedures on this page. Scan the computer with suggested anti-malware tool to ensure that all items, including hidden ones will be deleted.
Procedures to Remove TuneupMyMac
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like TuneupMyMac. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing TuneupMyMac.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects TuneupMyMac rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit TuneupMyMac Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close TuneupMyMac window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for TuneupMyMac. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to TuneupMyMac. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete TuneupMyMac Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs TuneupMyMac during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs TuneupMyMac.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select TuneupMyMac from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if TuneupMyMac Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete TuneupMyMac Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find TuneupMyMac or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the TuneupMyMac to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed TuneupMyMac
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing TuneupMyMac to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including TuneupMyMac.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, TuneupMyMac is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.
2 thoughts on “How to Remove TuneupMyMac”
Hey, mine is not installed as i cannot find it anywhere but my AVG antivirus keeps popping up with a message that it caught TuneMyMac as a threat and stopped it. But i never downloaded it. Nor can i find a file or app somewhere. I don’t understand if it is trying to get installed without my permission or if it has been installed somewhere but i cannot find it. please advise
AVAST is the answer. After struggling for several days with these blocked infections, here’s what I found. DONT download new software to get rid of the old software. I already had anti-virus from AVAST, but I’d never done a complete scan of my computer.
I started the complete scan … it took about two hours. But the infected file was now in my virus chest. I had been showing virus infections every time I started my computer, but now when I boot up, it comes up CLEAN. I found that the virus was download from CNET during an automatic software update for Java. I’ll never trust CNET again, its full of infected downloads.