The domain Googleapis.com is owned and operated by Google. This is used by several programs and applications to interact with and obtain data from one another. For example, if an application or website is using services from Google like Maps, Emails, Analytics, Cloud, and so on, an API is needed to have better collaboration between the application or website and Google services. With regards to Storage.googleapis.com, it is a subdomain that hosts several services and platforms, including Google Cloud Storage.
Is Storage.googleapis.com harmful?
As stated, Storage.googleapis.com is a subdomain that hosts Google Cloud Storage. This is a file hosting service offering different products that fit the requirements of several online businesses and software developers. The bad thing is, even cyber offenders are taking advantage of Storage.googleapis.com for their online fraudulent activities. They are abusing it to deploy malicious programs, phishing scams, spamming, and many other online counterfeiting activities. This is not a new thing, and the company is very aware of it. Google is taking all the necessary measures to control this abuse. In fact, anyone can report suspected abuse on Google Cloud Platform for any misuse of services that run on Google infrastructure.
Malware detected on Storage.googleapis.com
It is possible that your anti-virus or anti-malware program detects harmful activities or objects from Storage.googleapis.com. As stated, there are clients on this server who are abusive. Also, malware that is present on the computer may tend to communicate with the attacker’s server on Storage.googleapis.com. The anti-virus application senses this suspicious behavior, and the tendency is to block the connection in order to avoid any harm. See the sample image below to see how a real-time security program detects and blocks the outbound connection to Storage.googleapis.com.
In the event that a computer security application sends an alert about suspicious activities involving Storage.googleapis.com, immediately run a complete scan to detect the culprit. Malware could be present on the computer that triggers the suspicious connection to Storage.googleapis.com.
Malware, Trojan, or virus running on the computer may redirect the affected browser to a drive-by-download web site such as Storage.googleapis.com. Attackers are using this method to spread threats using various web addresses to evade the general blocking capability of most security programs. That is why regular updating of your anti-virus and anti-malware programs is vital.
Typically, redirects, hijackers, and other relevant threats are embedded in potentially unwanted programs (PUP) or altered legitimate free software like tools, games, multimedia players, and software updates.
If Storage.googleapis.com starts to download and install unwanted programs on visitor’s computers, there are really no obvious signs except for sluggish system performance. If your computer is equipped with an effective security tool, you might get alerted with a pop-up message stating that your computer is under attack by Storage.googleapis.com.
Browser redirection to Storage.googleapis.com and other strange changes on browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox are also signs that Storage.googleapis.com is initiating an assault on your computer.
How can you remove Storage.googleapis.com?
To totally remove Storage.googleapis.com from the computer and get rid of relevant adware, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with a powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of hazardous viruses like Storage.googleapis.com through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Storage.googleapis.com, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete the Storage.googleapis.com virus, including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if you are comfortable manually getting rid of the virus and malicious items linked to it.
Step 1 : Scan the computer with Norton Power Eraser
1. Download Norton Power Eraser from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file NPE.EXE to run the program.
3. You will be prompted with End User License Agreement. Please click on Accept to continue.
4. Norton Power Eraser will check for the most recent version. Then, the main window will appear. Click on Scan for Risks to the scan and removal process for Storage.googleapis.com.
5. By default, Norton Power Eraser was configured to perform rootkit scan. This is essential to get rid of Storage.googleapis.com or other relevant malware. To accomplish this, you will need to restart the computer. Please click Restart button.
6. After restarting Windows, the program will check for possible database update and then, proceeds with the scan. It may take a while, please wait for the scan process to complete.
7. Once scanning is done, Norton Power Eraser will display a list of threats including Storage.googleapis.com. Review identified threats and remove/repair them from the PC by clicking on Fix Now button.
8. If you are prompted to restart the computer in order to complete the virus removal process, please click on Restart Now.
Step 2 : Scan and remove Storage.googleapis.com with Microsoft Security Software
Microsoft Windows has a built-in security application that you can use to double-check if your computer is still infected with Storage.googleapis.com. For Windows 8 and 10/11 users, please run Windows Security. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove the Storage.googleapis.com virus.
Windows 8 / 10 / 11 Instructions:
Windows Security is a free tool that was built to help you remove Storage.googleapis.com, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10/11 systems. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with the tool:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for Windows Security, and then open the application.
2. On the Home tab, click Virus and threat protection from the sidebar.
3. On the main window, click on Scan Options. Then, click on Full Scan button.
4. Lastly, click on the Scan now button to start scanning for the presence of Storage.googleapis.com. The process may take a while to complete.
5. After the scan, Delete/Quarantine identified threats, whether they were relevant to Storage.googleapis.com or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
How to protect the computer from Storage.googleapis.com?
Installing an anti-virus or anti-malware tool is the first line of protection for any computer user. This action is logical and is most likely the best technique to safeguard the computer from Storage.googleapis.com attack. Consequently, remember that owning security software does not guarantee complete protection, especially for newer threats. We are presenting the following information as advice to safeguard the computer from virus infection because the bulk of prevention still relies on people being vigilant.
Avoid Malicious Websites
Numerous websites have been created only with the intention of disseminating Storage.googleapis.com. These websites frequently participate in the integration of harmful malicious pop-up and browser hijacker, which eventually lead to new malware outbreaks. Don't visit such websites.
Delete Phishing Emails
The attackers have the luxury of disseminating their dangerous code with just one send-off, thanks to the bulk digital mailing of computer viruses. This will look like an email from a reputable company when it enters the inbox. Therefore, it is best to delete any unusual emails that include links or attachments right away.
Do Not Click a Suspicious Link
Attackers occasionally use links from social media, forums, and blog sites to direct viewers to a malicious page that includes harmful code. Therefore, avoid clicking on random links, especially those that seem dubious. An infection with the Storage.googleapis.com may result from an unintentional visit to the target website.
Be Careful When Downloading Files
Another way that the Storage.googleapis.com malware spreads is through cracked software, serial key generators, and malicious shareware programs. Avoid obtaining these kinds of applications, and if you must download freeware or shareware, make sure to do so from a reputable source or the official website.
Originally published on April 21, 2015 at 10:12