The domain Googleapis.com is owned and operated by Google. This is used by several programs and applications to interact and obtain data with from one another. For example, if an application or website is using services of Google like Maps, Emails, Analytics, Cloud, and so on, an API is needed to have better collaboration between the application/website and Google services. With regards to Storage.googleapis.com, it is a subdomain that hosts several services and platforms including the Google Cloud Storage.
Is Storage.googleapis.com harmful?
As stated, Storage.googleapis.com is subdomain that hosts the Google Cloud Storage. This is a file hosting service offering different products that fits the requirement of several online businesses and software developers. The bad thing is, even cyber offenders are taking advantage of Storage.googleapis.com on their online fraudulent activities. They are abusing it to deploy malicious programs, phishing scams, spamming, and many other online counterfeiting activities. This is not a new thing and the company is very much aware of it. Google is doing all the necessary measures to control this abuse. In fact, anyone can report a suspected abuse on Google Cloud Planform for any misuse of services that runs on Google infrastructure.
Malware detected on Storage.googleapis.com
It is possible that your anti-virus or anti-malware program detects a harmful activities or objects from Storage.googleapis.com. As stated, there are clients on this server that are abusive. Also, malware that is present on the computer may tend to communicate with the attackers server on Storage.googleapis.com. Anti-virus application senses this suspicious behavior and the tendency is to block the connection in order to avoid any harm. See sample image below how a real-time protection of security program detects and blocks the outbound connection to Storage.googleapis.com.
In the case that computer security application sends an alert about suspicious activities involving Storage.googleapis.com, immediately run a complete scan to detect the culprit. Malware could be present on the computer that triggers the suspicious connection to Storage.googleapis.com.
Malware, Trojan, or virus running on the computer may redirect affected browser to drive-by-download web site such as Storage.googleapis.com. Attackers are using this method to spread threats using various web addresses to evade general blocking capability of most security programs. That is why regular updating of your anti-virus and anti-malware program is vital.
Typically, redirects, hijacker, and other relevant threats are embedded on potentially unwanted programs (PUP) or altered legitimate free software like tools, games, multimedia players, and software updates.
If Storage.googleapis.com starts to download and install unwanted program onto visitor’s computer, there is really no obvious signs except for sluggish system performance. If your computer is equipped with effective security tool, you might get alerted with a pop-up message stating that computer is under attack by Storage.googleapis.com.
Browser redirection to Storage.googleapis.com and other strange changes on browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox are also sign that Storage.googleapis.com is initiating an assault on your computer.
How can you remove Storage.googleapis.com?
To totally remove Storage.googleapis.com from the computer and get rid of relevant adware, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Step 1 : Scan the computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 2 : Run AdwCleaner to totally remove Storage.googleapis.com
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner.exe to start running the tool.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Storage.googleapis.com. You may have to delete each detected item.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, open AdwCleaner once more. Click on Uninstall to remove this program from your computer.