Google Chrome is one browser that is being targeted most by malware authors. This is maybe because it is now the most-used browser all over the world. If Chrome is affected by unknown extension or adware, user may experience frequent pop-up ads and redirects. New tab also opens unknown web address that usually promotes various products.
If adware or malware stays on the browser even for a while, computer can be at high risk. Malicious programs coming from various hosts may be downloaded into the compromised PC without user’s knowledge. Most adware and malware are installed in the background without any traces. So, to avoid such hazard, we highly promote immediate removal of malicious programs from Google Chrome. You can remove malware extensions from Google Chrome using the guide on this post.
More signs that Google Chrome is infected with Adware
- Unknown web address is controlling homepage and new tab window
- When searching online, adware will redirect the searches to unwanted websites
- Google Chrome adware is responsible for the display of excessive ads
- The adware occasionally redirects web page to questionable URL
- Slowing down internet connection is also one symptom of Google Chrome adware infection
- The adware adds additional toolbar on Google Chrome even without user’s permission
Procedures to remove Adware and Malware from Google Chrome
This guide doesn’t require technical expertise to successfully remove adware from Google Chrome. All you have to do is follow what is exactly stated on the procedures and use recommended tools. Keep in mind to download tools and software only from official web page as stated on this guide.
Step 1 : Remove malicious extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser and type chrome://extensions on the address bar.
2. Locate the Adware Extension and click the Remove button to delete the extension from Google Chrome.
3. You may now restart Google Chrome and see if the adware is gone.
Step 2 : Use Google Chrome’s Clean Up Tool
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
6. Let the tool do its course and wait for the scan to finish. At the final stage of the cleanup, it will display the result. Just follow the recommendations when prompted. It may ask you to remove the adware and restart Google Chrome to complete the cleanup process.
For Mac Users:
1. Open Google Chrome browser program.
2. In the address box, please type the strings: chrome://settings/system
3. Go to Reset Settings section.
4. Click “Restore settings to their original defaults“.
5. On the next prompt, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This procedure will reset Google Chrome (Mac) settings including Startup page, new tab, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable the entire extension including those from Adware or Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).
Step 3 : Scan the Computer with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to adware or malware. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 4 : Use Malwarebytes Anti-malware to totally clean Google Chrome
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Click here to download MBAM (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired option whether you are installing on Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click on Install button to load the basic requirements to run Malwarebytes Anti-malware.
5. It it prompts for License Agreement, you must accept this and click the Next button.
6. Proceed with the succeeding prompts until you reach the window that says Installing…
7. Installation process will take less than a minute. The program should run automatically after the setup process.
8. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan from menu to begin the process. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.