“Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” is a pop-up that purported to be a valid warning of legitimate program. In reality, this is a fake web site that tries to deceive computer users. It issues fake warnings and alerts prompting visitors to call a number and seek for technical support. Be aware that programs and services offered are not free. “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” was created to scam computer users and steal money through fraudulent online transactions.
When your screen displays “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt”, or pop-up appears upon login, it may mean that your computer is infected with malicious code. In contrary, your PC may be clean and the appearance of “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” pop-ups was just caused by an infected web site you are viewing. Remember that site “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” is malicious. Thus, you must avoid it to keep your computer safe and away from adware or malware threats.
If malware files are executed, you may instantly acquire unwanted codes that may cause changes on the computer. Moreover, add-ons and extensions brought by this threat can do modifications on the browser that causes pop-up ads, redirects, home page hijacking, and other unsolicited actions. On the other hand, if you call the provided number, your phone account will be billed with unexpected amount. The message you will see from this malicious pop-up reads:
Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt
Please enter a Valid Product key to continue.
Support: Call 1-844-872-8686
In order to prevent “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” attack, you must take extra caution when visiting web sites particularly unknown ones. As much as possible, avoid downloading unfamiliar freeware or shareware that are commonly the carrier or adware and other malicious programs.
To completely remove “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” adware and stop the pop-up, you may have to scan the PC with legitimate security tools and virus removers. Removing any relevant software also helps eliminate unwanted items on the computer.
Different anti-virus and anti-malware programs may name this threat according to their patterns. Here are some detection names: Trojan.Ransomlock.AS
“Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” Removal Guide
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Stage 1: Remove Rootkit and Virus from the Computer
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit as well as malware that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link provided. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
– Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, double-click the file to install the program on the computer. It will update the database once installations has finished. Internet connection is required at this point.
3. After downloading necessary updates, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
4. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
– Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt”. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Adware Add-on linked to “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (this will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt”. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt”. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. Click on the Menu (three-bar icon) located on the upper right side corner of the browser.
3. From the pull-down menu, click on Settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Advanced‘ at the bottom of the window.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset settings to their original defaults button.
6. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” extension.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt”.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
3 thoughts on “Remove “Windows Update cannot continue as your Software copy is Expired/Corrupt” Scam Support”
Very helpful, thanks a lot.
When I’m in the middle of fixing the problem and downloading the programs needed in this guide the “cannot update window” appears.
Darren, Boot your computer into Safe mode with networking first.