Browser redirect is a result of potentially unwanted programs (PUP) infecting the computer. Unexpected browser redirection to unfamiliar and questionable sites are persistent once the internet browser program is compromised. PUP or adware can trigger malicious websites to open on browser as a way to force web users to visit predefined websites.
Whatchnow.xyz is one example of browser redirect. It attempts to deceive web visitors into agreeing to receive alerts from their site. Whatchnow.xyz will begin to show push notifications requesting to send alerts. By clicking the “Allow” button, web users agree to enable browser notifications. After that, many advertisements in a form of pop-up ads, promotional banners, or surveys will bombard the browser. Those ads will keep appearing on the computer screen without the control of online users. Another thing is, the browser can connect to other dubious websites such as gambling platforms, unofficial download sites, or phishing sites. Moreover, Whatchnow.xyz presents web visitors with click-baits. Further access to Whatchnow.xyz could lead to intrusions of malware on the computer. Some ads or buttons can automatically install an unwanted program once clicked. Therefore, beware on any clickable buttons when Whatchnow.xyz web page opens.
Clicking pop-ups triggered by unwanted software can cause to open Whatchnow.xyz. Sudden redirection to Whatchnow.xyz can be risky especially when web users allow alerts from this site. The threat will start when Whatchnow.xyz sends notifications to the browser. Constant ads and pop-ups will interrupt the online activity of web users. Whatchnow.xyz aims to generate revenue through pay-per-click so they exhibit numerous advertisements. In addition, another way to open Whatchnow.xyz on browser is by visiting compromised websites. Such websites can run the ads or pop-ups of Whatchnow.xyz. When internet users clicked on those, then the redirection will begin.
|Initial pop-up goal||Prompting web user to Allow push notification. If granted, Whatchnow.xyz will use this feature to send aggressive pop-up ads.|
|Website purpose||To display different kinds of malicious ads on the browser using the push notification window of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge.|
|Current IP address||220.127.116.11|
Steps to remove Whatchnow.xyz pop-up
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Whatchnow.xyz. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Whatchnow.xyz are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Normally, Whatchnow.xyz pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with aggressive ads if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Whatchnow.xyz from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below.
Remove Whatchnow.xyz from Google Chrome
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allowed to send notifications" section and look for Whatchnow.xyz.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Whatchnow.xyz list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Whatchnow.xyz from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
6. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
Stop Whatchnow.xyz on Mozilla Firefox
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Whatchnow.xyz entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Whatchnow.xyz pop-up is gone.
Remove Whatchnow.xyz from Safari (Mac)
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Whatchnow.xyz.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Whatchnow.xyz pop-up is gone.
Get rid of Whatchnow.xyz on Microsoft Edge
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
4. Find and select Whatchnow.xyz from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.
If Whatchnow.xyz pop-up still persist after accomplishing the removal of the URL from the push notification feature, there must be an adware on the computer that is causing the annoyances. Continue with the remaining procedures to scan the system with virus and malware removal software.
Additional steps to remove Whatchnow.xyz from PC
Step 1 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Whatchnow.xyz automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering internet browser threat like Whatchnow.xyz that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program that is associated with Whatchnow.xyz.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Whatchnow.xyz and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Step 2 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Whatchnow.xyz on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Whatchnow.xyz.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Whatchnow.xyz.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Extra procedures to remove Whatchnow.xyz from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Whatchnow.xyz. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Whatchnow.xyz.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Whatchnow.xyz.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Whatchnow.xyz is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.