“Warning! Critical update” is served from update-critical.com. Depending on visitor’s browser, the warning will appear convincing you to download an update. This fake update for Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox claims to make your Internet browsing safer. Here is the text you will see when you land on the said web site.
“Warning! Critical update!
The following important update is available for your computer. Install update.”
You will notice in the posted image on this page. “Warning! Critical update” page has distinct design for each browser. Same with the filename used, each browser has corresponding file name that relates to the browser program. It is observed that IEUpdate.exe, FirefoxUpdate.exe, and ChromeUpdate.exe are the common file of malware that will get injected into the computer.
If you try to navigate away from “Warning! Critical update” page, you will not be allowed by the browser. The loop code on the site will just refresh the view instead of leaving the page. Any attempt to close the browser window, prompts the web site to display a warning stating the following:
“Are you sure?
This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave – data you have entered may not be saved.”
Clicking on Leave Page button will not respond to your request because it was meant that way. There is no way that virus developer will allow you to close the page neither leave the current window. Remember that the page “Warning! Critical update” from update-critical.com was made to drop virus, trojan, and malware into the computer.
How to Remove “Warning! Critical update”
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds “Warning! Critical update” and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for “Warning! Critical update”‘ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for “Warning! Critical update”. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all “Warning! Critical update” entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that “Warning! Critical update” have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.