UpdaterWebPageEducate is a Mac application that works on browser programs like Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox. Unfortunately, this one is not recommendable to install. Basing from the looks of its icon, we can clearly see its resemblance to other potentially unwanted applications like PowerLane, OptionFlow, and UnitConsole. UpdaterWebPageEducate is certainly part of this adware family that is endorsed as an improvement tool for internet programs. The reason why these apps were barred from the list of upright browser extension is its use of force in order to gain access to Mac computer.
Installation of UpdaterWebPageEducate
The use of software bundling hoax is the top most contributor to the widespread campaign of UpdaterWebPageEducate app. There are already a number of freeware and shareware that are now actively hosted on different online platforms like file-sharing websites, torrent portals, and cracked software sites. The majority of these freeware now holds UpdaterWebPageEducate or any suspicious app for that matter. Installing the free app on Mac computer yields to installation of the embedded potentially unwanted application (PUA) like UpdaterWebPageEducate. Unfortunately, the setup process is discreet. Mac users are totally ignorant on this intrusion and therefore, they have no time to react on blocking the entry of this adware.
Other ways that attackers are using to deploy UpdaterWebPageEducate includes cracked software where it is embedded too, and malicious advertisements that usually in disguise as crucial software update.
The effects of UpdaterWebPageEducate
After successful installation of UpdaterWebPageEducate on Mac computer and when it is active, users may experience changes in the browser operation. For one, there will be an unwanted modification on search settings where this adware appoints a new search provider. In addition, unusual pop-ups and redirects persistently appear on the internet program that intends to influence web user to visit other malicious sites. Thus, the affected internet software may display a warning that “UpdaterWebPageEducate will damage your computer.”
As PUA, UpdaterWebPageEducate app is capable of tracking web browsing data and logs sensitive information including username, passwords, contact details, and IP address. Clearly, having UpdaterWebPageEducate app on the computer can lead to privacy theft and therefore, immediate removal of this adware is recommended.
How to secure Mac from UpdaterWebPageEducate adware?
When talking about computer security, nothing beats the protection that can be drawn from having an effective anti-virus software. Aside from regular updates, these security apps provides technical supports for their clients. The real-time scanning guards Mac computer from malicious internet traffics and therefore, downloading of adware or malware is often thwarted. Moreover, anti-virus programs were designed to block execution of any dubious files locally so even if the sources of threats are removable drives and discs, it will initiate fully on the protected computer.
Procedures to Remove UpdaterWebPageEducate from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like UpdaterWebPageEducate. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing UpdaterWebPageEducate.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete UpdaterWebPageEducate from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find UpdaterWebPageEducate or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag UpdaterWebPageEducate to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to UpdaterWebPageEducate
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located UpdaterWebPageEducate, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed UpdaterWebPageEducate
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Updater WebPage Educate
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing UpdaterWebPageEducate to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Updater WebPage Educate
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to UpdaterWebPageEducate adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including UpdaterWebPageEducate.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and UpdaterWebPageEducate is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove UpdaterWebPageEducate from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove UpdaterWebPageEducate from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the UpdaterWebPageEducate setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace UpdaterWebPageEducate settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by UpdaterWebPageEducate. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select UpdaterWebPageEducate or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with UpdaterWebPageEducate.