Fake pop-up stating “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” may appear on the browser if user pays a visit to suspicious website that is employing a malicious script. It may appear like a valid MS Windows alert but in reality, the content is tricking web users to download a potentially unwanted program (PUP) or malware.
Data shows that this scheme by cyber-crooks to mislead users are spiking. It only means that they are successful in this method to cleverly spread malicious programs. Bear in mind that pop-up like “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” is not only bound to deliver malware. Attackers are also utilizing this scheme to swindle money from computer users. Some versions of this alert are requesting for user name and bank details as part of the update process. Here is an excerpt from the fake warning alert:
Update Windows Antivirus Software Now!
Recent malware and spyware viruses can cause a serious harm to PC, so we released an antivirus update compatible for your computer.
Computers without an antivirus might be exposed to viruses, data leaks, and low computer speed.
Clean and improve the performance of your computer immediately.
As soon as you see this fake “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” pop-up, we highly advise to close the internet program and start to run a thorough scan using anti-virus and anti-malware tool. This is a measure to check if some malicious objects from “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” have manage to enter the computer.
Fake “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” Removal Guide
Stage 1: Force Quit Internet Program
Most fake warning alert pop-ups are preventing users from closing the internet application to continually display the fake message. One way to stop the “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” from showing is to force quit the affected internet browser program.
1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete on the keyboard.
2. Click on Task Manager from the given options.
3. On Task Manager window, select the affected internet application that is showing “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” and click on End Task button.
Stage 2: Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
To remove “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” from Mac OS, please use the tool that was designed specifically for Macintosh users.
Malwarebytes For Mac Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MB3-Setup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now”.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Stage 3: Double-check for leftover of “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now”
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now”. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that “Update Windows Antivirus Software Now” have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.