Open Download Manager is a faulty application claiming to speed-up your software downloads by at least 500 percent. At a glimpse, this may seem like a valid and useful tool. However, Open Download Manager is actually in the column of potentially unwanted program (PUP). Obviously, you must avoid this program at all cost.
Open Download Manager enters the computer without getting permission from user. Once inside, this adware shows disturbing pop-up ads and redirects. It is promoted as a helpful tool, but Open Download Manager has this main objective of gaining online profit through advertisements. We see nothing wrong with online ads. However, in the case of Open Download Manager, it is using an uncommon advertising network. The same network is known to be the sources of adware and malware infection.
Another crisis we see from Open Download Manager is its constant monitoring of users browsing habit. It tracks every visited websites, search inquiry, and relevant online interest of user. Let us remind you that logging your personally identifiable details can be too risky and this is what Open Download Manager does. It steals sensitive and personal details from your online transactions.
Recent study reveals that almost every PUP in the wild right now has same traits. They are promoted as free functional tools with advanced features. Open Download Manager allegedly enhances some features on your software but these are simply to trick you into using the product. None of this adware can be fully beneficial to end-user. So far, it is evident that adware makers are earning huge sum of money through their own advertising scheme.
To free your computer from adware and for the safety of your online activity, we highly suggest the removal of Open Download Manager. Below is straightforward procedure to help you get rid of the potentially unwanted application.
Online Security Scanner Report for opendownloadmanager.com:
|No issues||Community Rating: 3.7/5.0||Updated: Feb. 10, 2017|
|No issues||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Feb. 10, 2017|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Feb. 10, 2017|
Different anti-virus and anti-malware programs may name this threat according to their patterns. Here are some detection names: SoftwareBundler: Win32/Techrelinst
How to Remove Open Download Manager
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Open Download Manager
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Open Download Manager, ODM, or SoftwareUpdater entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Open Download Manager. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Open Download Manager from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Open Download Manager on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Open Download Manager
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Open Download Manager. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Remove Open Download Manager from Google Chrome
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Open Download Manager. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Open Download Manager. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Open Download Manager.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up’. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Open Download Manager should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Open Download Manager and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.