MacEnator is a security and optimization app from rogue software family called PCVARK. Mac users who encounters this malware claims that it provides nothing but annoyances once installed on the computer. Aside from unnecessary complete scan of the system, MacEnator bombards the screen with alerts and warning messages stating Malware/PUP infection and system-related issues that requires urgent fixing.
Most victims claims that MacEnator was given access to their Mac system because they were force to visit a web page portraying as online scanner. The truth is, these supposed online scanner are actually misleading pop-up advertisements currently being utilized by cyber crooks to spread MacEnator. Because the page disguises well and appears to be locally scanning the computer, many Mac users were deceived by its misinformation strategy. In the end, viewers of the page often agree to download and install MacEnator on their Mac OS computer.
Another tactic that is being exploited by people behind rogue tool is known as software bundling scheme. This is not as misleading as the first deployment technique because software bundling is a practice that is commonly used by software vendors to distribute legitimate programs. Hence, cyber criminals also spread MacEnator this way but in their process, they never notify users that the rogue tool is embedded in the distribution package. As such, installation of MacEnator is discreet and adopts the administrative privilege given to the hosts or main application.
When fully installed on the computer, MacEnator scans the computer for presence of malware, outdated registry entries, start-up errors, and other system issues. The program never fails to find such computer dilemma and the funny thing is, it can detect similar troubles even on a newly formatted or brand new computer. Therefore, computer security analyst believed that detection of MacEnator are purely misguiding with objective of persuading users to pay for its registered copy.
Branded as rogue security and optimization tool, all we can recommend is complete removal of MacEnator to restore safety and order on Mac computer. Please follow the procedures on the next segment to eliminate the threat.
Procedures to Remove MacEnator
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like MacEnator. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing MacEnator.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects MacEnator rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit MacEnator Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close MacEnator window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for MacEnator. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to MacEnator. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete MacEnator Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs MacEnator during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs MacEnator.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select MacEnator from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if MacEnator Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete MacEnator Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find MacEnator or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the MacEnator to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed MacEnator
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing MacEnator to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including MacEnator.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, MacEnator is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.