What is Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C?
Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C is a malware that can drop malicious files onto the computer, which tend to lock files and demand payment from users in order to regain access. Some security programs deemed Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C as a Ransomware threat that causes high potential damage.
With computers connected globally via the internet, handler of Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C are taking advantages of this network to spread the virus. In most infection cases, it was noted that Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C penetrates the computer via spam email messages. It is attached to email pretending as valid document file. Once the recipient opens the file, Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C initiates the attack on the computer.
Some infection instance of Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C can be traced to the downloading and installation of cracked software particularly those that are availed from torrent sites and insecure file-sharing networks. On this scheme, attackers are embedding Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C virus to installer files. Since the actors behind this virus cleverly concealed the cipher, local anti-virus program may fail to detect it sometimes.
Payload of Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C
During the time that Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C is active on the computer, users have no way to learn its existence. Most of the time, it has already committed damages to files, programs, and operating system before they were able to grasp the idea that computer is infected with Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C.
The attacker’s objective in sending this virus to random computer is based on the idea that they can further utilize the compromised system for other malicious actions including the following:
- Opens a backdoor port to allow remote access
- Command the infected computer to download additional malware from specified server
- Update the current infection to a high-risk threat
- Generate revenue by using the infected computer for click-fraud
- Collect data like Operating System version, browser make and version, IP address, username, and password
- Inject aggressive ads on the browser program
In addition, this Trojan will drop the following files:
- C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INet Cache\IE\MIPY49MB\MicrosoftSecurity.exe
- C:\Users\Username\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Cryptnet Url Cache\Content\5CEA8CFB8047B569B331D0E79D28457D
Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C finds a way to execute the embedded files on every Windows boot-up by adding relevant registry entries. While Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C remains as memory resident, computer users will have difficulty removing the virus and sometimes, even anti-virus program could not be of help on this situation. Malware researchers find hope in deleting Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C successfully if computer is running on Safe Mode where the virus is not memory-resident.
Other Aliases of Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C
Trojan-Ransom.Win32.Blocker.kqwj, Ransom.HiddenTear, Win32.Occamy
List of Variants
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C!bit||Severe||Oct 12, 2018|
|Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C!MTB||Severe||May 09, 2019|
|Trojan:MacOS/Occamy.C||Severe||Aug 14, 2019|
|Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C!ctv||Severe||Jan 01, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C!rfn||Severe||Apr 04, 2020|
|For complete details including full list of Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C variants, please refer to this Microsoft Security Intelligence page|
How to remove Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C?
To totally remove Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C Instantly
To instantly remove Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.
How to protect the computer?
The initial defense that comes to the mind of any computer users is to install an anti-virus or anti-malware program. This move is sensible and probably the most practical way to protect the computer against Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C attack. Hence, keep in mind that having a security software do not give full guarantee of protection. The most part of the prevention still lies on being cautious of users and therefore we are providing the following information as guidelines to protect the computer from virus infection.
Avoid Malicious Websites
There are enormous numbers of websites that was made for the primary purpose of spreading Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C. Normally, these sites are involved in integrating malicious pop-up and browser hijacker, that will eventually cause further virus infection. Avoid such kind of websites.
Delete Phishing Emails
The mass-mailing of computer viruses gives the attackers the luxury of spreading their malicious code in just one send off. This will arrive in the inbox as email that appears to be from a legitimate organization. So, if you receive an unexpected email with a link or an attached file, better delete it immediately.
Do Not Click a Suspicious Link
Links from social media, forums, and blog sites are sometimes being utilized by attackers to drive web users to a malicious page that contains malicious code. Therefore, do not just click on any link especially if it looks suspicious. Accidental access to the destination site may lead to Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C infection.
Be Careful When Downloading Files
Cracked software, serial key generators, and several freeware are seen as another method that spreads the Trojan:Win32/Occamy.C virus. Avoid acquiring these types of application and if there is a need to download a freeware or shareware, be sure to obtain it from the official website or trusted providers.