Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt is a detection for one of the most destructive computer virus that affects individual computer users as well as private companies, government, and other institutions. Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt is very effective in the distribution of extra malware defending on the hacker’s choice. Hence, this specific detection of Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt pertains to a variant that is seen to be involved in the widespread campaign of ransomware or crypto-virus.
The main distribution method for Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt is via spam email method. This virus arrives in the inbox pretending as legitimate email that originates from a trusted contact or prominent organization. Once the computer user executes the file attachment or links within the messages, it initializes the Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt infection.
Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt is able to read your contact list and run a mass-mailing action to send itself to the gathered email addresses. Because the email it sends out came from a trusted source, the recipient will never get suspicious and the possibility of accessing the malicious link or attached file is very likely.
Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt uses a functionality that helps the virus avoid detection of some security applications. It was also noted that Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt has this computer worm-like traits that able to spread a copy onto another computer within a local network.
Once Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt is executed on the computer, it attempts to exploit software vulnerabilities. For one, it acts as macro-enabled documents and communicates to a remote command-and-control server (C&C) to retrieve additional malware.
Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt also established a connection to the C&C server to update itself and increase the functionalities that able it to steal sensitive information like username, password, banking details, and similar data.
In most instances of Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt attack in the recent period, it is focused on the distribution of ransomware. A computer virus that locks important files on the computer and the it demands the victim to pay the attacker if they want to obtain the file recovery tool.
One example of hazardous ransomware that were identified with this signature includes Slgh ransomware (Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt!ml).
List of Variants
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.A!MTB||Severe||Aug 27, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt!rfn||Severe||Sep 27, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.ARJ!rfn||Severe||Sep 28, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.ARK!MTB||Severe||Sep 29, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt!MSR||Severe||Oct 07, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt!ml||Severe||Oct 13, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.SS!MTB||Severe||Oct 16, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.PCX!MTB||Severe||Oct 30, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.GKM!MTB||Severe||Nov 07, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Emotetcrypt.VO!MTB||Severe||Nov 09, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.MU!MTB||Severe||Nov 10, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Emotetcrypt.VQ!MTB||Severe||Nov 11, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.ARK!rfn||Severe||Nov 18, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.PCY!MTB||Severe||Nov 18, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Emotetcrypt.VU!MTB||Severe||Nov 18, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt.PH!MTB||Severe||Nov 19, 2020|
|For complete details including full list of Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt variants, please refer to this Microsoft Security Intelligence page|
How to remove Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt?
To totally remove Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt Instantly
To instantly remove Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Trojan:Win32/EmotetCrypt items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.