Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike is a computer virus that was made to attack MS Windows platform. This kind of threat can do several malicious actions on the infected computer at the command of an attacker. If Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike is detected on the computer, it means that the system is open to other kinds of attack and therefore, computer security experts suggest to perform immediate cleanup by scanning the computer with Windows Defender Antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials, or Microsoft Safey Scanner depending on their availability on the system.
Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike spreads on the internet in various methods. It can arrive on the computer as part of spam emails or computer users may acquire it by visiting malicious websites or downloading executable files from this source. A separate Trojan infection could also drop Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike on the infected computer and aside from this one, there may also be another threat that the initial infection can inject. As such, it is important to regularly run a virus scan on the computer to catch and delete the threat in order to avoid further contamination with other malware.
When Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike is run on the computer, it drops a copy of itself on System folder of Windows. Then, registry entry is added that aims to run Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike during Windows start-up. This will regularly happen unless computer user acts on the removal of the virus.
Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike infection aims to exploit system vulnerabilities to further launch other attack. Presence of this virus also gives way for a remote attacker to perform other malicious actions on the computer.
List of Variants
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike||Severe||May 16, 2019|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike!MSR||Severe||Nov 11, 2019|
|Trojan:Win32/CobaltStrike.PA!MTB||Severe||Dec 18, 2019|
|Trojan:Win32/CobaltStrike.SK!MTB||Severe||Apr 19, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike!MTB||Severe||Jul 08, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike.DK!MTB||Severe||Jul 13, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike.MK!MTB||Severe||Jul 30, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike.MB!MTB||Severe||Aug 17, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/CobaltStrike.CK!MTB||Severe||Aug 27, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike!ml||Severe||Aug 31, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike.AR!Cert||Severe||Oct 19, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike.B!cert||Severe||Nov 12, 2020|
|For complete details including full list of Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike variants, please refer to this Microsoft Security Intelligence page|
How to remove Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike?
To totally remove Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike Instantly
To instantly remove Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Trojan:Win32/Cobaltstrike items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.