Trojan:HTML/Phish is a computer virus that was designed to steal various user’s credentials from the infected computer. This is a detection given by Microsoft Defender Antivirus to identify this specific type of phishing virus. Just like any other data-stealer viruses, this threat was designed to steal sensitive information including username, password, online credentials, or any other important data as defined in the virus code. Aside from that, Trojan:HTML/Phish also log the hardware and software information from the infected system, installed programs, and security settings for anti-virus and firewall.
Common ways to propagate a copy of Trojan:HTML/Phish includes mass-mailing campaign. On this scheme, the virus is sent as a misleading letter purporting to be from a legitimate company or organization, refutable person, or institution. The messages of the email usually hold vital information that intends to influence computer users into executing attached file.
One more thing, compromised web sites that redirect users to Trojan:HTML/Phish location is reported as another channel that attackers are utilizing to propagate this virus. Cracked software, serial key generator, and misleading online ads are also used to drop a copy of Trojan:HTML/Phish on target computers.
If a user accidentally executes Trojan:HTML/Phish, it will drop malicious files under Windows folder. Moreover, it will organize a start-up method by injecting registry entries. As soon as it is active on the computer, Trojan:HTML/Phish established a constant communication to a remote server in order to download more threats.
It was observed that Trojan:HTML/Phish will make changes to Windows firewall to allow network traffic that is required for this virus to send gathered data to a remote command-and-control server. Any kind of running processes that are associated to security software will also be disabled by Trojan:HTML/Phish to avoid detection and removal.
List of Variants
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish||Severe||Jan 10, 2013|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.ARB!MTB||Severe||Mar 12, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.JK!rfn||Severe||Mar 27, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.MS!MTB||Severe||Apr 09, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.DD!MTB||Severe||Apr 10, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.JA!MTB||Severe||Apr 21, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.AJK!MSR||Severe||May 19, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.RA!MTB||Severe||Jun 01, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.SS!MSR||Severe||Jun 04, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.OJ!MTB||Severe||Jun 05, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.IA!MSR||Severe||Jun 09, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.KSH!MSR||Severe||Jun 12, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.E!MTB||Severe||Jun 22, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.FG!MTB||Severe||Jun 24, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.JE!MTB||Severe||Jul 06, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.YM!MTB||Severe||Aug 05, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.CD!MSR||Severe||Aug 26, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.VS!MSR||Severe||Aug 26, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.LL!MTB||Severe||Sep 26, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.DK!rfn||Severe||Oct 09, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.SMK!MSR||Severe||Oct 16, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.RBE!MTB||Severe||Oct 30, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.PL!MTB||Severe||Nov 07, 2020|
|Trojan:HTML/Phish.RO!MTB||Severe||Nov 11, 2020|
|For complete details including full list of Trojan:HTML/Phish variants, please refer to this Microsoft Security Intelligence page|
How to remove Trojan:HTML/Phish?
To totally remove Trojan:HTML/Phish from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Trojan:HTML/Phish Instantly
To instantly remove Trojan:HTML/Phish, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Trojan:HTML/Phish or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, Trojan:HTML/Phish should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Trojan:HTML/Phish. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Trojan:HTML/Phish virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Trojan:HTML/Phish, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Trojan:HTML/Phish
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Trojan:HTML/Phish. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Trojan:HTML/Phish or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Trojan:HTML/Phish effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Trojan:HTML/Phish items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.