SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack is a detection system created by Microsoft to identify computer threats that specifically targets Windows Hosts file. SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack executes an adjustment to the entry in order to hijack or redirect web page to another site as specified in the Hosts file.
SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack spreads over the internet through another Trojan Dropper that downloads the threat on the computer and exploits certain vulnerabilities to initiate the attack. On some instances, SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack comes along with malicious software package that web user intentionally downloads from an online source.
Once SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack is executed on the computer, this threat immediately locate the Windows Hosts file and adjust the entry to accommodate its command of redirecting browser pages through IP address changes on the list.
Though SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack is not a contagious type of computer virus, the modification it carried out on the Windows Hosts file is a sign of imminent infection. It can redirect web pages to sites that were designed to automatically download malware on the computer. So, as long as the added entry is intact on the Windows Hosts file, the risks remains and the only solution is to remove the supplementary malicious IP addresses.
How to remove SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack?
To totally remove SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack Instantly
To instantly remove SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting SettingsModifier:Win32/HostsFileHijack items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.