Ransom:Win32/Petya is a detection name that may pop-up from Microsoft Security Software when it detects a threat with ransomware characteristics. In other terms, this threat is called ransomware virus. It barred your access to computer or files and displays a page of warning messages and ransom notes. To regain your access, Ransom:Win32/Petya will prompt for ransom money using various online payment schemes.
This threat normally comes from trojan infection. Malicious files downloaded from unsafe network-sharing application can also lead to Ransom:Win32/Petya infection. Beware of clicking links from suspicious email messages and messenger program as it may also cause the malware to invade your PC.
While Ransom:Win32/Petya is on the system, it will block your access to the computer or files. It will exhibit a message why it locks the computer and will advise you to pay ransom money. You must understand that this is just a mere tactics of Ransom:Win32/Petya in order to steal money from its victims.
The warning message it projects are usually download from a remote servers which was put up by malware authors.
It will require you to pay through online payment scheme like MoneyGram, Ukash, and MoneyPak. Some variants of Ransom:Win32/Petya is also using Bitcoin to process the transaction.
As mentioned, the first sign you may notice is the warning message that blocks your access to the computer or files. If ever Ransom:Win32/Petya has not fully installed, Microsoft Security Software will keep on showing alerts about several attempts of virus trying to penetrate the computer.
Ransomware Petya will issue the following message on the infected computer:
Ooops, your important files are encrypted.
If you see this text, then your files are no longer accessible because they have been encrypted. Perhaps you are busy looking for a way to recover your files, but don’t waste your time. Nobody can recover your files without our decryption service.
We guarantee that you can recover all your files safely and easily. All you need to do is submit the payment and purchase the decryption key.
Please follow the instructions:
1. Send $300 worth of Bitcoin to the following address.
2. Send your Bitcoin wallet ID and personal installation key to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can you remove Ransom:Win32/Petya?
To totally remove Ransom:Win32/Petya from the computer and get rid of relevant viruses, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
MSE Download Link (this will open on a new window)
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Ransom:Win32/Petya effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Ransom:Win32/Petya items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.
Windows 8 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Ransom:Win32/Petya, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Ransom:Win32/Petya
Windows Defender Download Link (this will open on a new window)
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Ransom:Win32/Petya. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Ransom:Win32/Petya or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Double Check with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
MBAM Download Link (this will open on a new window)
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MB3-SETUP.EXE to run the program.
3. Select desired installation language when it prompts you.Then, click OK.
4. Continue with the process until MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is fully installed on the computer. The program will run automatically.
5. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on sidebar menu. Then, choose Threat Scan as shown in the image below. Click on Start Scan button to begin the process. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
6. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.