What is Ransom:Win32/Ryuk?
Ransom:Win32/Ryuk is a deadly computer virus that can leave affected files inaccessible. This virus uses complex algorithmic pattern to lock the files. Most variants of Ransom:Win32/Ryuk also executes data renaming by appending various strings on file extensions. The primary objective of Ransom:Win32/Ryuk virus is to hostage important computer files and takes advantage of the circumstances to extort money from victims.
Ransom:Win32/Ryuk spreads globally through various ransomware campaign usually initiated via human-operated modules. Most infection instances are observed to be leveraging from phishing email campaign where Ransom:Win32/Ryuk is deployed as an attachment to messages. It attacks enterprise networks by pretending as valid business correspondence engaging the subject of product inquiry, payment terms, banking details, shipping information, tax, salary, and so on.
Other ways to spread Ransom:Win32/Ryuk may exploit vulnerable services and software. A campaign that focuses on this attack includes web injections, drive-by-downloads, pirated software, and bogus software update.
Once running on the computer and its network, Ransom:Win32/Ryuk steals credentials including username, passwords, IP address, and other useful network and ISP information. Then, it infects other devices to obtain the same details. After scouting and stealing data from computers, Ransom:Win32/Ryuk installs the ransomware module and start targeting important files.
Ransom:Win32/Ryuk can perform different malicious actions once it penetrated the computer. It can download additional files from a remote server to enhance its presence and continuously sends status about the infected system or network. Even though there are so many processes involve in the Ransom:Win32/Ryuk infection, the primary goal of this virus is to extort money from victims. As such, its task is to encrypt targeted files from the infected computer and holds them as hostage. Ransom:Win32/Ryuk asks ransom money from victims as compensation for decryption tool and key that are needed to restore all files back to their original format.
List of Variants
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk||Severe||Oct 10, 2018|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.A||Severe||Oct 30, 2018|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.S!MTB||Severe||Dec 31, 2018|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PA!MTB||Severe||Apr 03, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.P!MTB||Severe||Apr 04, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.B||Severe||Jul 30, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk!MSR||Severe||Oct 04, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.AA||Severe||Oct 24, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.SA!MSR||Severe||Dec 12, 2019|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PA!rfn||Severe||Dec 14, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.CA!lnk||Severe||Dec 18, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.SB!MSR||Severe||Jan 13, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.BS!MTB||Severe||Feb 02, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PB!MTB||Severe||Feb 11, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PC!MTB||Severe||Feb 11, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DHA!MTB||Severe||Feb 25, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PB!rfn||Severe||Feb 27, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.AA!MTB||Severe||Mar 10, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PC!rfn||Severe||May 16, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.AS!MTB||Severe||Mar 18, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.A!MSR||Severe||Mar 20, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.B!MSR||Severe||Mar 20, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.E!MSR||Severe||Mar 20, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.AS!rfn||Severe||Mar 23, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PM!MTB||Severe||Mar 24, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DHA!rfn||Severe||Mar 27, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PD!MTB||Severe||Apr 08, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Ryuk!MTB||Severe||May 06, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.C!rfn||Severe||May 16, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DA!MTB||Severe||Aug 12, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk!ml||Severe||Aug 14, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.ZB!MTB||Severe||Sep 06, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.MZ!MTB||Severe||Sep 10, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.BY!MTB||Severe||Sep 21, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.G!MSR||Severe||Sep 29, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DSC!MTB||Severe||Oct 05, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.F||Severe||Nov 03, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk!MTB||Severe||Nov 03, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DB!MTB||Severe||Nov 03, 2020|
|For complete details including full list of Ransom:Win32/Ryuk variants, please refer to this Microsoft Security Intelligence page|
How to remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk?
To totally remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk Instantly
To instantly remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful virus removal tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Ransom:Win32/Ryuk or similar attack, you can activate Sophos to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove virus like Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Ransom:Win32/Ryuk and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
After executing the above instructions, Ransom:Win32/Ryuk should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Ransom:Win32/Ryuk. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Ransom:Win32/Ryuk. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Ransom:Win32/Ryuk or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Ransom:Win32/Ryuk effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Ransom:Win32/Ryuk items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.
How to protect the computer?
The initial defense that comes to the mind of any computer users is to install an anti-virus or anti-malware program. This move is sensible and probably the most practical way to protect the computer against Ransom:Win32/Ryuk attack. Hence, keep in mind that having a security software do not give full guarantee of protection. The most part of the prevention still lies on being cautious of users and therefore we are providing the following information as guidelines to protect the computer from virus infection.
Avoid Malicious Websites
There are enormous numbers of websites that was made for the primary purpose of spreading Ransom:Win32/Ryuk. Normally, these sites are involved in integrating malicious pop-up and browser hijacker, that will eventually cause further virus infection. Avoid such kind of websites.
Delete Phishing Emails
The mass-mailing of computer viruses gives the attackers the luxury of spreading their malicious code in just one send off. This will arrive in the inbox as email that appears to be from a legitimate organization. So, if you receive an unexpected email with a link or an attached file, better delete it immediately.
Do Not Click a Suspicious Link
Links from social media, forums, and blog sites are sometimes being utilized by attackers to drive web users to a malicious page that contains malicious code. Therefore, do not just click on any link especially if it looks suspicious. Accidental access to the destination site may lead to Ransom:Win32/Ryuk infection.
Be Careful When Downloading Files
Cracked software, serial key generators, and several freeware are seen as another method that spreads the Ransom:Win32/Ryuk virus. Avoid acquiring these types of application and if there is a need to download a freeware or shareware, be sure to obtain it from the official website or trusted providers.