Ransom:Win32/Ryuk is a deadly computer virus that can leave affected files inaccessible. This virus uses complex algorithmic pattern to lock the files. Most variants of Ransom:Win32/Ryuk also executes data renaming by appending various strings on file extensions. The primary objective of Ransom:Win32/Ryuk virus is to hostage important computer files and takes advantage of the circumstances to extort money from victims.
Ransom:Win32/Ryuk spreads globally through various ransomware campaign usually initiated via human-operated modules. Most infection instances are observed to be leveraging from phishing email campaign where Ransom:Win32/Ryuk is deployed as an attachment to messages. It attacks enterprise networks by pretending as valid business correspondence engaging the subject of product inquiry, payment terms, banking details, shipping information, tax, salary, and so on.
Other ways to spread Ransom:Win32/Ryuk may exploit vulnerable services and software. A campaign that focuses on this attack includes web injections, drive-by-downloads, pirated software, and bogus software update.
Once running on the computer and its network, Ransom:Win32/Ryuk steals credentials including username, passwords, IP address, and other useful network and ISP information. Then, it infects other devices to obtain the same details. After scouting and stealing data from computers, Ransom:Win32/Ryuk installs the ransomware module and start targeting important files.
Ransom:Win32/Ryuk can perform different malicious actions once it penetrated the computer. It can download additional files from a remote server to enhance its presence and continuously sends status about the infected system or network. Even though there are so many processes involve in the Ransom:Win32/Ryuk infection, the primary goal of this virus is to extort money from victims. As such, its task is to encrypt targeted files from the infected computer and holds them as hostage. Ransom:Win32/Ryuk asks ransom money from victims as compensation for decryption tool and key that are needed to restore all files back to their original format.
List of Variants
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk||Severe||Oct 10, 2018|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.A||Severe||Oct 30, 2018|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.S!MTB||Severe||Dec 31, 2018|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PA!MTB||Severe||Apr 03, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.P!MTB||Severe||Apr 04, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.B||Severe||Jul 30, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk!MSR||Severe||Oct 04, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.AA||Severe||Oct 24, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.SA!MSR||Severe||Dec 12, 2019|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PA!rfn||Severe||Dec 14, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.CA!lnk||Severe||Dec 18, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.SB!MSR||Severe||Jan 13, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.BS!MTB||Severe||Feb 02, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PB!MTB||Severe||Feb 11, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PC!MTB||Severe||Feb 11, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DHA!MTB||Severe||Feb 25, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PB!rfn||Severe||Feb 27, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.AA!MTB||Severe||Mar 10, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PC!rfn||Severe||May 16, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.AS!MTB||Severe||Mar 18, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.A!MSR||Severe||Mar 20, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.B!MSR||Severe||Mar 20, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.E!MSR||Severe||Mar 20, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.AS!rfn||Severe||Mar 23, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PM!MTB||Severe||Mar 24, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DHA!rfn||Severe||Mar 27, 2020|
|Ransom:Win64/Ryuk.PD!MTB||Severe||Apr 08, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/Ryuk!MTB||Severe||May 06, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.C!rfn||Severe||May 16, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DA!MTB||Severe||Aug 12, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk!ml||Severe||Aug 14, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.ZB!MTB||Severe||Sep 06, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.MZ!MTB||Severe||Sep 10, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.BY!MTB||Severe||Sep 21, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.G!MSR||Severe||Sep 29, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DSC!MTB||Severe||Oct 05, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.F||Severe||Nov 03, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk!MTB||Severe||Nov 03, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/Ryuk.DB!MTB||Severe||Nov 03, 2020|
|For complete details including full list of Ransom:Win32/Ryuk variants, please refer to this Microsoft Security Intelligence page|
How to remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk?
To totally remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk Instantly
To instantly remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Ransom:Win32/Ryuk or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, Ransom:Win32/Ryuk should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Ransom:Win32/Ryuk. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Ransom:Win32/Ryuk
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Ransom:Win32/Ryuk. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Ransom:Win32/Ryuk or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Ransom:Win32/Ryuk effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Ransom:Win32/Ryuk items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.