Ransom:Win32/Rector is a computer virus that can prevent users from accessing their important files. This threat was designed with the primary objective of locking the data with advanced methods. After completing the file-encryption process, Ransom:Win32/Rector will ask ransom payment from victims that must be sent to attackers using a specified payment channels, which is usually in Bitcoin currency. However, the general consensus of security experts and malware researchers are not to pay the ransom as a way of stopping this illegal activity.
Ransom:Win32/Rector generally spread over the internet using various channels as spam emails, drive-by-download websites, malicious advertisements, bogus software update, botnets, or via another virus contamination. Hence, the greater part of Ransom:Win32/Rector infection cases were attributed to malicious sites and downloading of software installer that was infected with the virus.
As soon as computer user executes the payload host, it immediately infects the computer with Ransom:Win32/Rector. Then, it drops a copy of itself on System folder of Windows. To command a boot up sequence and start itself along with the operating system, Ransom:Win32/Rector is going to add a Windows registry entry. The threat may also perform other malicious actions including the following:
- Connect to a remote server to download additional threat.
- Collect various information from the infected computer.
- Occasionally dump the gathered data to a remote server.
- Update the virus code.
- Receive commands from a remote attacker.
Ransom:Win32/Rector was made with the specific purpose of extorting money from victims. Therefore, it is a must for this virus to dominate the ownership on the target files that are usually documents, photos, images, videos, music, zip files and similar data. Ransom:Win32/Rector will put in the operation of the main weapon, which is a sophisticated encryption technique. After locking the files, the virus will ask payment in exchange for the decryption software that is needed to recover all the encrypted files.
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Ransom:Win32/Rector.A||Severe||Jul 11, 2014|
|For complete details including full list of Ransom:Win32/Rector variants, please refer to this Microsoft Security Intelligence page|
How to remove Ransom:Win32/Rector?
To totally remove Ransom:Win32/Rector from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Ransom:Win32/Rector Instantly
To instantly remove Ransom:Win32/Rector, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Ransom:Win32/Rector or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, Ransom:Win32/Rector should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Ransom:Win32/Rector. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Ransom:Win32/Rector virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Ransom:Win32/Rector, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Ransom:Win32/Rector
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Ransom:Win32/Rector. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Ransom:Win32/Rector or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Ransom:Win32/Rector effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Ransom:Win32/Rector items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.