Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A is a detection name that may pop-up from Microsoft Security Software when it detects a threat with ransomware characteristics. In other terms, this threat is called ransomware virus. It barred your access to computer or files and displays a page of warning messages and ransom notes. To regain your access, Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A will prompt for ransom money using various online payment schemes.
This threat normally comes from trojan infection. Malicious files downloaded from unsafe network-sharing application can also lead to Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A infection. Beware of clicking links from suspicious email messages and messenger program as it may also cause the malware to invade your PC.
While Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A is on the system, it will block your access to the computer or files. It will exhibit a message why it locks the computer and will advise you to pay ransom money. You must understand that this is just a mere tactics of Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A in order to steal money from its victims.
The warning message it projects are usually download from a remote servers which was put up by malware authors.
It will require you to pay through online payment scheme like MoneyGram, Ukash, and MoneyPak. Some variants of Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A is also using Bitcoin to process the transaction.
As mentioned, the first sign you may notice is the warning message that blocks your access to the computer or files. If ever Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A has not fully installed, Microsoft Security Software will keep on showing alerts about several attempts of virus trying to penetrate the computer.
Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A will append the infected files with .aes128ctr extension. Thus, word.doc will be translated to infecred file as word.doc.aes128ctr. Since there is no file association with this type of extension, all files infected with MegaCortex Ransomware will be useless. The virus provides an instruction on how victims can recover the files via included !!!_READ_ME_!!!.txt ransom note stating the following:
Your companies cyber defense systems have been weighed, measured and have been found wanting.
The breach is a result of grave neglect of security protocols.
All of your computers have been corrupted with MegaCortex malware that has encrypted your files.
We ensure that the only way to retrieve your data swiftly and securely is with our software.
Restoration of your data requires a private key which only we possess.
Don’t waste your time and money purchasing third party software, without the private key they are useless.
It is critical that you don’t restart or shutdown your computer.
This may lead to irreversible damage to your data and you may not be able to turn your computer back on.
To confirm that our software works email to us 2 files from random computers and C:\fracxidg.tsv file(‘s)
and you will get them decrypted.
C:\fracxidg.tsv contain encrypted session keys we need in order to be able to decrypt your files.
The softwares price will include a guarantee that your company will never be inconvenienced by us.
You will also receive a consultation on how to improve your companies cyber security .
If you want to purchase our software to restore your data contact us at:
We can only show you the door. You’re the one who has to walk through it.
Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A Decryption Tool
A tool that may decrypt files infected with Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A is not yet available as of today. We will update this section once the tool was made publicly available.
How can you remove Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A?
To totally remove Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A from the computer and get rid of relevant viruses, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.
Windows 8 /10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built to help you remove Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A.
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Ransom:Win32/MegaCortex.A or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Double Check with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.