A particularly dangerous computer virus that might prevent the user from accessing their own may be identified as Ransom:Win32/MedusaLocker!rfn. Microsoft Defender Antivirus is a security program that can identify and eliminate this malware. This virus can also be recognized by other effective security programs, but it might do so under a different name or alias.
This danger relates to a virus that hackers are employing to coerce victims into paying them money. Ransom:Win32/MedusaLocker!rfn will use a sophisticated mechanism to encrypt the targeted files as soon as it has infected the computer. The victim is then required to pay in order to have access to decryption software or a key.
How to remove Ransom:Win32/MedusaLocker!rfn?
Computer security specialists advise removing Ransom:Win32/MedusaLocker!rfn from the system to stop it from harming more recent files, even though the damage done to the files is frequently irreversible. It is advised to thoroughly scan for viruses using the following programs:
- Combo Cleaner for Windows
This software combines both antivirus and system optimization features. The special method it uses to combat computer viruses and maintaining the health of the system is the selling point of this program.
- Windows Defender/Windows Security (Windows 8 and 10/11)
This built-in security software for Windows provides the latest antivirus protection. Because the program is integrated in the system, it runs immediately and begins protecting the computer the moment that Windows starts.
- Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7 and Vista)
Users of Microsoft Windows Vista or older versions can freely scan the computer for viruses and malware using this efficient security application.
The virus scan should be run in full mode. This is the best method to detect Ransom:Win32/MedusaLocker!rfn or any relevant viruses from the computer. We also suggest running a full scan after disabling the System Restore to avoid reinstating the virus just in case that this feature is compromised.
The instructions for removing Ransom:Win32/MedusaLocker!rfn will require the computer to restart and run in Safe Mode; as such, you may not be able to access this guide during the process. We recommend Printing this procedure or viewing this page on another device.
1. Before running any virus scan, please make sure to disable System Restore on your Windows system.
2. Next, we need to start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking. This will prevent the malicious code from running.
3. After booting up the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, please download and scan the computer with the recommended anti-virus program as stated above.
4. There is no harm in checking the computer with multiple virus scanners to ensure that Ransom:Win32/MedusaLocker!rfn is completely eliminated.
For more help
There are numerous variants of the dangerous ransomware from which Ransom:Win32/MedusaLocker!rfn originates. If a specific removal method is required, you can browse our list of Ransomware.
You may also submit a comment below or start a discussion topic on our Adware, Malware, and Virus Problems Community Page.