Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor is a hazardous computer threat that blocks users from accessing their files. It demands ransom payment and instruct victims to send it to the attacker’s specified online processor. If in case Microsoft Defender Antivirus or Microsoft Security Essentials pop-ups a warning about the detection of Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor, it means that important files on the computer are in danger of being encrypted or were already locked by the virus.
Computer users may acquire Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor if they often visit a website that is providing pirated copies of software, movies, or music files. Moreover, downloading any executable file or software from such sources can lead to Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor infection. Hackers are exploiting these kind of websites to spread their malicious code and since there are still huge number of computer users who downloads applications from these websites, Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor was able to successfully infect the computers.
Once Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor is executed, a copy of the virus is placed in the System folder of Windows. It can also manipulate the boot-up process and include the automatic execution of Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor during Windows start-up. This only requires the virus to add a small entry on the registry to materialize.
Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor and similar types of viruses were specifically made to lock computer files especially common ones as documents, photos, videos, zip files, databases, and similar data. Then, Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor will demand victims to pay the designated amount in order for them to recover all the encrypted files using the provided decryption software by attackers. The cyber hoodlums specifically denounce the use of third-party recovery software because according to them, this might cause permanent damage to the files.
List of Variants
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor!bit||Severe||Feb 11, 2019|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor.A!MTB||Severe||Apr 01, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor.H!MTB||Severe||May 16, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor.J!MTB||Severe||Jul 05, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor.K!MTB||Severe||Jul 12, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor!MSR||Severe||Jul 14, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor.M!MTB||Severe||Aug 02, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor.P!MTB||Severe||Sep 09, 2020|
|Trojan:Win32/FileCryptor.BL!MTB||Severe||Sep 10, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor.R!MTB||Severe||Oct 30, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor!MTB||Severe||Nov 08, 2020|
|Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor.PC!MTB||Severe||Nov 19, 2020|
|For complete details including full list of Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor variants, please refer to this Microsoft Security Intelligence page|
How to remove Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor?
To totally remove Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor Instantly
To instantly remove Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Ransom:Win32/FileCryptor items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.