What is Ransom:MSIL/Cry?
Ransom:MSIL/Cry is an anti-virus software signature that was developed to detect a type of computer virus with ransomware capabilities. As a creation of hackers, this virus is able to penetrate the system secretly and opens a way for the attackers to dominate the computer. Once running on the computer, Ransom:MSIL/Cry targets computer user’s file. It performs an encryption technique that would be impossible to decipher if user do not have the appropriate decryption tool. In fact, this recovery application is in the possession of hackers and if victims need a copy, they have to send the ransom payment.
Attackers are exploring every possible way to deploy Ransom:MSIL/Cry on a global scale. Normally, they are using the internet as a platform for distribution and different channels were employed to reach its target. Spam emails, Bad bots, drive-by-download, cracked applications, bogus software update, and brute-forcing certain software vulnerabilities are just some of the ways to sneak inside the computer.
Once Ransom:MSIL/Cry is operational on the computer, it constantly communicates with a remote server to accomplish the following:
- Report the current infection.
- Dump the collected information from the contaminated computer.
- Download a separate malware.
- Upgrade the current virus to improve the functions.
- Open a port so that attackers can control the computer.
Ransom:MSIL/Cry was made primarily to attack the majority of computer user’s files. It aims on locking common data like documents, photos, videos, music, images, zip files, databases, and so on. Attackers designed Ransom:MSIL/Cry to apply a complex technique during file encryption and in some cases, it also performs file-renaming task to completely disassociate the encrypted file from related applications.
After it locks user’s files, Ransom:MSIL/Cry will ask victims to pay the ransom money to attackers in order to receive the appropriate decryption software. This is required in order to restore the files back to its original format.
|Version Name||Alert Level||Date Added|
|Ransom:MSIL/Cry.DA!MTB||Severe||Nov 24, 2020|
How to remove Ransom:MSIL/Cry?
To totally remove Ransom:MSIL/Cry from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove Ransom:MSIL/Cry Instantly
To instantly remove Ransom:MSIL/Cry, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against Ransom:MSIL/Cry or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, Ransom:MSIL/Cry should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with Ransom:MSIL/Cry. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove Ransom:MSIL/Cry virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove Ransom:MSIL/Cry, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove Ransom:MSIL/Cry
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of Ransom:MSIL/Cry. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to Ransom:MSIL/Cry or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing Ransom:MSIL/Cry effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting Ransom:MSIL/Cry items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.
How to protect the computer?
The initial defense that comes to the mind of any computer users is to install an anti-virus or anti-malware program. This move is sensible and probably the most practical way to protect the computer against Ransom:MSIL/Cry attack. Hence, keep in mind that having a security software do not give full guarantee of protection. The most part of the prevention still lies on being cautious of users and therefore we are providing the following information as guidelines to protect the computer from virus infection.
Avoid Malicious Websites
There are enormous numbers of websites that was made for the primary purpose of spreading Ransom:MSIL/Cry. Normally, these sites are involved in integrating malicious pop-up and browser hijacker, that will eventually cause further virus infection. Avoid such kind of websites.
Delete Phishing Emails
The mass-mailing of computer viruses gives the attackers the luxury of spreading their malicious code in just one send off. This will arrive in the inbox as email that appears to be from a legitimate organization. So, if you receive an unexpected email with a link or an attached file, better delete it immediately.
Do Not Click a Suspicious Link
Links from social media, forums, and blog sites are sometimes being utilized by attackers to drive web users to a malicious page that contains malicious code. Therefore, do not just click on any link especially if it looks suspicious. Accidental access to the destination site may lead to Ransom:MSIL/Cry infection.
Be Careful When Downloading Files
Cracked software, serial key generators, and several freeware are seen as another method that spreads the Ransom:MSIL/Cry virus. Avoid acquiring these types of application and if there is a need to download a freeware or shareware, be sure to obtain it from the official website or trusted providers.