What is PUP.Optional.Legacy?
PUP.Optional.Legacy is a detection for a malicious program that belongs to adware group and potentially unwanted program (PUP) family. This detection covers every module like toolbar, browser hijacker, and pop-up ads that keeps on appearing on the affected browser. When PUP.Optional.Legacy is identified in the system, chances are, the adware has dropped files, add-on, or browser plug-in. Although, this detection may also appear when the program you are trying to install is packed with an adware.
There are certain ways how PUP.Optional.Legacy spreads over the Internet. Primarily, it comes with free programs also called as shareware. Two programs were packed in one file download, the main program and an unwanted one. The installation of PUP.Optional.Legacy is concealed and not all security software may be able to spot it. Users are always stunned by the presence of this adware.
During the presence of PUP.Optional.Legacy, the computer may experience sluggish performance. The internet connection is also affected by this program. When it tries to download other adware from a remote location, the web user may observe how PUP.Optional.Legacy utilizes the bandwidth for its own function.
In order to remove PUP.Optional.Legacy from the computer, scanning the computer with a selection of tools is advised. A single program may delete part of the adware; unfortunately, some will still remain on the system.
How can you remove PUP.Optional.Legacy?
To totally remove PUP.Optional.Legacy from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing PUP.Optional.Legacy effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting PUP.Optional.Legacy items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built to help you remove PUP.Optional.Legacy, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove PUP.Optional.Legacy.
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of PUP.Optional.Legacy. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to PUP.Optional.Legacy or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Double Check with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.