PUA:Win32/Rostplay is a generic detection for a potentially unwanted application. This discovery covers a broad computer threat that commonly enters the computer without the permission from users. PUA:Win32/Rostplay infection can cause different kinds of computer issues especially aggressive pop-up advertisements and persistent redirects on internet browser application.
PUA:Win32/Rostplay spreads over the internet via software bundling hoax. The threat is embedded to a number of freeware that are hosted on questionable websites. On some instances, computer users may acquire PUA:Win32/Rostplay by accessing links that pop-ups on visited malicious websites, which drives the browser program to malware download location.
Though there are several ways to spread PUA:Win32/Rostplay, the whole tricky way of deploying the threat boils down to persuading web users into downloading an unwanted program that can be any of the following:
Rogue Software – This bogus application acts as legitimate anti-virus tool or system optimizer. It displays exaggerated scan results to trick computer users into purchasing the registered version of the program.
Malicious Browser Extension – PUA:Win32/Rostplay type of threat can pose as valid internet browser add-on claiming to enhance web users browsing experience. But in reality, it was placed on the browser to produce aggressive type of advertisements.
Java Script File – This can be executed by internet browser program, operating system, or any installed application to command the computer into performing different malicious actions.
The main objective of PUA:Win32/Rostplay is to generate online profit by showing advertisements on the browser or faking the computer status in order to persuade users into purchasing the recommended paid application. In order to do these tasks, PUA:Win32/Rostplay was designed to have complete access on system files and browser settings. The threat is able to commit unwanted changes that will allow PUA:Win32/Rostplay to run during Windows boot-up or when user opens affected program.
Adware.Rostplay, Win32.Rostplay, PUA.Rostplay
How to remove PUA:Win32/Rostplay?
To totally remove PUA:Win32/Rostplay from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove PUA:Win32/Rostplay Instantly
To instantly remove PUA:Win32/Rostplay, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against PUA:Win32/Rostplay or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
After executing the above instructions, PUA:Win32/Rostplay should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with PUA:Win32/Rostplay. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove PUA:Win32/Rostplay virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove PUA:Win32/Rostplay, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove PUA:Win32/Rostplay
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of PUA:Win32/Rostplay. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to PUA:Win32/Rostplay or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing PUA:Win32/Rostplay effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting PUA:Win32/Rostplay items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.