PUA:Win32/CCleaner is a detection for a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that can have negative effect on the computer once installed. Normally, programs detected as PUA:Win32/CCleaner are those apps that are integrated to legitimate software. While the host program themselves is valid, any bundled products from different developers can result in misbehavior or conflicts. So, to protect Windows users from this unwanted installation of third-party apps, Microsoft Defender alerts users about the malicious software installer package and identifies it as PUA:Win32/CCleaner.
PUA:Win32/CCleaner is spread via online promotions especially advertisements and email campaign. Installing the program itself may not harm the computer because it is deemed legitimate. However, there are occasions wherein other products that come with it may not have the same reputation and could cause damaging effects on the computer. The reason for creating such bundled apps is to promote it by integrating to host software and runs a simultaneous installation. Basically, programs identified as PUA:Win32/CCleaner are taking advantage of sneaky approach to enter the computer.
Users have the option to opt out for installation of file that are identified as PUA:Win32/CCleaner. However, some users can accidentally install the bundled applications when running the setup while disregarding the options provided during the installation.
The main objective of PUA:Win32/CCleaner is simply to install the supplementary software. Obviously, the developers are involved in a pay-per-install campaign and they receive revenue from those software providers by incorporating the installer files to the main application. As mentioned, PUA:Win32/CCleaner do not apply compulsory installation of third-party application because it provides options for users to opt-out.
How to remove PUA:Win32/CCleaner?
To totally remove PUA:Win32/CCleaner from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove PUA:Win32/CCleaner Instantly
To instantly remove PUA:Win32/CCleaner, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful virus removal tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against PUA:Win32/CCleaner or similar attack, you can activate Sophos to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove virus like .
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
After executing the above instructions, PUA:Win32/CCleaner should have been eliminated totally from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Stage 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 2 :Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with PUA:Win32/CCleaner. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove PUA:Win32/CCleaner virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove PUA:Win32/CCleaner, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove PUA:Win32/CCleaner
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of PUA:Win32/CCleaner. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to PUA:Win32/CCleaner or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing PUA:Win32/CCleaner effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting PUA:Win32/CCleaner items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.
How to protect the computer?
The initial defense that comes to the mind of any computer users is to install an anti-virus or anti-malware program. This move is sensible and probably the most practical way to protect the computer against PUA:Win32/CCleaner attack. Hence, keep in mind that having a security software do not give full guarantee of protection. The most part of the prevention still lies on being cautious of users and therefore we are providing the following information as guidelines to protect the computer from virus infection.
Avoid Malicious Websites
There are enormous numbers of websites that was made for the primary purpose of spreading PUA:Win32/CCleaner. Normally, these sites are involved in integrating malicious pop-up and browser hijacker, that will eventually cause further virus infection. Avoid such kind of websites.
Delete Phishing Emails
The mass-mailing of computer viruses gives the attackers the luxury of spreading their malicious code in just one send off. This will arrive in the inbox as email that appears to be from a legitimate organization. So, if you receive an unexpected email with a link or an attached file, better delete it immediately.
Do Not Click a Suspicious Link
Links from social media, forums, and blog sites are sometimes being utilized by attackers to drive web users to a malicious page that contains malicious code. Therefore, do not just click on any link especially if it looks suspicious. Accidental access to the destination site may lead to PUA:Win32/CCleaner infection.
Be Careful When Downloading Files
Cracked software, serial key generators, and several freeware are seen as another method that spreads the PUA:Win32/CCleaner virus. Avoid acquiring these types of application and if there is a need to download a freeware or shareware, be sure to obtain it from the official website or trusted providers.