PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB is a detection for potentially unwanted application that is targeting Mac OS computers. Software that were identified as PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB are either useless or possesses harmful contents and it can cause damage to the files and computers. Usually, threat that were labeled with this are fake optimization tool or bogus security software that tricks users into purchasing the paid version like MacCleanBooster, MacMaster, Total Mac Fixer, and many more.
Majority of PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB infection spreads over the internet while inside a freeware or shareware. This tactic to maliciously spread the threat is called software bundling and since many Mac users are fond of installing free applications, they may acquire PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB via this scheme. Nearly all of the compromised freeware are the ones that are available on distrusted servers like torrent portals and cracked software websites.
There are cases that instead of a dubious freeware, Mac computer got infected with PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB after accessing software update page endorsed by a browser pop-up or redirects. Attackers will use every possible scenario to persuade online users into downloading and installing programs where the virus is attached. This fake software update attack is the present trend to deploy malware including those that are under the category of PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB. Therefore, computer user must not entertain any software update suggestions particularly if it pop-ups on a website that is low in reputation.
PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB are fake or useless software that displays bogus warnings and alerts claiming that a number of issues or virus infections were found on the computer. These malicious programs also run a complete scan every now and then and exhibit the same findings. Computer user must know that detections of these bogus programs are misleading. It is a trick to persuade computer users into purchasing the full version of the promoted software.
How to remove PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, PUA:MacOS/AMCleaner.Y!MTB is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.