BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou is a generic detection for threat that attacks widely used internet program like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. If a browser extension, plug-in, or add-on is identified as BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou, it means that the said application possesses security risks and immediate removal of this threat is recommended. While under the influence of this virus, web user may experience different types of annoyances like pop-ups and redirects.
BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou spreads as an integrated add-on to various freeware and third-party software. It could be that handlers of this virus are paying the freeware developers to accommodate the spread of BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou or attackers themselves are repacking the cost-less program to include the malicious code.
Once the freeware is run on the computer, users are not informed on the installation of the inclusions. Therefore, the first symptom of the intrusion that will be visible to user is when anti-virus program issues an alert about the BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou virus. Technically, this pertains to an adware called Price Fountain. However, it is observed that the same detection is used to identify adware with similar characteristics and payload.
Payload of BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou
The main objective of this virus is to dominate the computer and replaced the existing settings on homepage, new tab, and search engine. After that, BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou will start to make profit for its creators by launching ad campaign. Therefore, aggressive advertisements displaying in different forms and sizes will bother web users.
As long as BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou is active on the browser program, computer user’s privacy is at risk. This virus was designed to take part in monitoring online activities and record sensitive information like search keywords, favourite websites, IP address, username, password, and contact details.
PUP.Optional.PriceFountain.A, Price Fountain, Adware.PriceFountain
How to remove BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou?
To totally remove BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou from the computer and get rid of relevant viruses and trojans, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scanned the system with the suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
To remove BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou from the computer, follow the guide below:
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with a powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of hazardous viruses like BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete the BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou virus, including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if you are comfortable manually getting rid of the virus and malicious items linked to it.
Step 1 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10 / 11 Guide
1. Click on the Windows logo and select the Power icon when options pop up.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing the Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear. Select the Troubleshoot button.
4. In next window, please choose the Advanced Option.
5. On the Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings, and then, click the Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boots in Startup Settings, press the function key F5 or number 5 on the keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click the Windows Start icon in the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open the Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup, and then click on the Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in the Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings, and then click the Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2 : Run a virus scanner
To remove BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful virus removal tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou or similar attacks, you can activate Sophos to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On the first window of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. An internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove viruses like BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou.
6. Click the Start Scanning button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for the presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
After executing the above instructions, BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou should have been completely removed from the computer. If there are still signs of infection or the computer is displaying unusual behaviors, please continue with the remaining procedures.
Step 3 : Double Check with Windows Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has a built-in security application that you can use to double-check if your computer is still infected with BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou. For Windows 8 and 10/11 users, please run Windows Security. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove the BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou virus.
Windows 8 / 10 / 11 Instructions:
Windows Security is a free tool that was built to help you remove BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10/11 systems. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with the tool:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for Windows Security, and then open the application.
2. On the Home tab, click Virus and threat protection from the sidebar.
3. On the main window, click on Scan Options. Then, click on Full Scan button.
4. Lastly, click on the Scan now button to start scanning for the presence of BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou. The process may take a while to complete.
5. After the scan, Delete/Quarantine identified threats, whether they were relevant to BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
How to protect the computer from BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou?
The initial defense that comes to mind for any computer user is to install an anti-virus or anti-malware program. This move is sensible and probably the most practical way to protect the computer against a BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou attack. Hence, keep in mind that having security software does not guarantee full protection. The majority of the prevention still lies in being cautious of users, and therefore, we are providing the following information as guidelines to protect the computer from virus infection.
Avoid Malicious Websites
There are enormous numbers of websites that were made for the primary purpose of spreading BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou. Normally, these sites are involved in integrating malicious pop-up and browser hijacker, that will eventually cause further virus infections. Avoid such websites.
Ignore and Delete Phishing Emails
The mass-mailing of computer viruses gives the attackers the luxury of spreading their malicious code in just one send-off. This will arrive in the inbox as an email that appears to be from a legitimate organization. So, if you receive an unexpected email with a link or an attached file, better delete it immediately.
Do Not Click a Suspicious Link
Links from social media, forums, and blog sites are sometimes being utilized by attackers to drive web users to a malicious page that contains malicious code. Therefore, do not just click on any link, especially if it looks suspicious. Accidental access to the destination site may lead to a BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou infection.
Be Careful When Downloading Files
Cracked software, serial key generators, and several freeware are seen as another method that spreads the BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou virus. Avoid acquiring these types of applications, and if there is a need to download freeware or shareware, be sure to obtain it from the official website or trusted providers.