BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack is a computer threat that is within the bracket of potentially unwanted program (PUP). It can do unwanted modifications on targeted browser application, which severely affects homepage, new tab, and default search tool.
Software bundling is the primary distribution channel to spread BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack. Aside from the relevant PUP, some malware can be loaded at the same time while installing the bundled application that you downloaded from malicious website.
When installed on the computer, the host program will integrate browser extension that may cause the homepage to display unwanted URL. In addition, BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack also alters the default search engine and forces web users to utilize own provider. Existence of this malware may also lead to excessive browser redirects and annoying pop-up advertisements.
Though there may be no signs during the entry of BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack because the installation is normally discrete, users will see clear symptoms when browsing the internet. The most obvious symptom is modification of homepage and search engine.
How can you remove BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack?
To totally remove BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to BrowserModifier:Win32/ExplorerHijack or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Double Check with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MB3-SETUP.EXE to run the program.
3. Select desired installation language when it prompts you.Then, click OK.
4. Continue with the process until MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is fully installed on the computer. The program will run automatically.
5. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on sidebar menu. Then, choose Threat Scan as shown in the image below. Click on Start Scan button to begin the process. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
6. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.