BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex is a type of potentially unwanted program that may install other threats when run into the computer. This is a name given by Microsoft Security Software to identify computer threat that is linked to adware or PUP. Unwanted programs are software that intends to implicate changes on the computer or browser without asking for user’s approval. In this case, BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex may install other adware, toolbars, browser redirect, and hijack the home page of affected browser.
BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex files and codes can be acquired by user from ranges of sources. Malicious links, spam email messages, or Peer-to-peer connection can lead to the infection. It may also be dropped onto your PC by threats like Trojans, viruses, or malware.
When BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex is present on the computer, it will make various changes. In particular, potentially unwanted programs are targeting Internet browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Changes will be carried out by BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex by adding add-on, extension, or plug-in. This may result to the integration of toolbar or unknown search engine.
Aside from mentioned changes on the PC, BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex also installs files and folders. It can also make registry changes to load itself during Windows start-up.
This adware will display an interface that tries to install a Chinese RichText program. See sample image below.
How can you remove BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex?
To totally remove BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex from the computer and get rid of relevant virus and trojan, please execute the procedures as stated on this page. Make sure that you have completely scan the system with suggested malware removal tools and virus scanners.
Remove BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex Instantly
To instantly remove BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex, we suggest that you scan the infected computer with this powerful anti-malware tool. It can detect and get rid of Trojans, viruses, malware, and adware from the infected computer. To fully protect the computer against BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex or similar attack, you can activate Malwarebytes to have real-time scanning and complete defense against all forms of threats.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
2. Once the download completes, double-click on the file MBSetup.exe to run the program.
3. Select desired installation package whether for Personal Computer or Work Computer.
4. On next window, click Install button to proceed.
5. Just proceed with the succeeding prompts until it start to execute the installation procedure.
6. Installation process will take less than a minute. It should run automatically after completing the setup.
7. When Malwarebytes Anti-Malware interface appears, please select Scan on the menu. The program will check for any available update before proceeding. Do not skip this step. Virus scan may take a while, please wait for the process to finish.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Double Check with Microsoft Security Apps
Microsoft Windows has built-in security application that you can use to double-check if computer is still infected with BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex. For Windows 8 and 10 users, please run Windows Defender. Users of Windows Vista and older versions can utilize Microsoft Security Essentials to remove BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex virus.
Windows 8 / 10 Instructions:
Windows Defender is a free tool that was built help you remove BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex, viruses, and other malicious items from Windows 8 or Windows 10 system. Follow these procedures to scan your computer with Windows Defender:
1. Tap or click the Search charm, search for defender, and then open Windows Defender.
If Windows Defender is not yet installed on the computer, please proceed to download page using the link below. It also contains detailed instruction to install and use the program effectively. Proper usage is required to totally remove BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex
2. On the Home tab, click Full under Scan Options. Click Scan now to start scanning for presence of BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex. The process may take a while to complete.
3. After the scan, delete/quarantine identified threats wether it is relevant to BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex or not. You may now restart Windows to complete the virus removal process.
Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Instructions:
1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials by going to Windows Start > All Programs. If the tool is not yet installed on the computer, please download Microsoft Security Essentials from the link below. Save the file on your hard drive.
Complete installation guide and usage are also provided on the same link. It is essential in removing BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex effectively. If Microsoft Security Essentials is already installed on the PC, please proceed with the steps below.
2. On Microsoft Security Essentials Home screen, please choose Full under Scan Options.
3. Click on Scan Now button to start detecting BrowserModifier: Win32/Riccietex items, viruses, and malware on the PC. Scan may take a while, please be patient and wait for the process to end.