Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP is a detection for potentially unwanted application that targets internet browser applications that operates on Mac OS environment. The entry of Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP on the computer was made possible by the installation of freeware or shareware that was obtained from devious websites. On other infections instances, Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP was able to infect the computer via deceitful pop-up messages displayed by suspicious websites.
Mac users may acquire Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP by simply visiting malicious websites that runs drive-by-download method. Though, this is not the main channel where this threat spreads. According to data by Mac security experts, Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP commonly reach Mac computer via the installation of malicious freeware, shareware, or third party applications.
After successful installation of the threat, it immediately attacks internet browser applications including Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox. Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP carries out unwanted changes on the internet program to set new default settings and show advertisements that are very distracting.
Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP is able to penetrate the browser program and complete unsolicited modification that will support its illicit operation on Mac computer. Changes were made to accomplish the following tasks:
- Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP will assign a new homepage and search tool
- The adware will exhibit numerous pop-up advertisements
- Browser will be redirected to different websites that host malware
- Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP logs browsing activity of user and gather sensitive information
- This threat pushes for the installation of another adware
How to remove Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Adware.MAC.Genieo.AP is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.