Ads by DNS Unlocker that show up on your internet browser application are linked to adware program that has sole intention of gaining profit over the Internet. It is installed as add-on or extension to popular browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. On Internet Explorer, DNS Unlocker adware starts as Browser Helper Object which is quite difficult to stop once it starts running.
This adware is promoted as a tool that enhances search results. It presents other tools like quick access to relevant image, video and so on. DNS Unlocker gets installed on the computer through third-party apps coming from various sources. Programs where this adware is packed is similarly hosted on various reputable web sites, thus you must take extra caution when installing freeware or shareware.
Once inside Windows system, DNS Unlocker adware alters settings on the browser. It drops add-ons and extensions that may result to manipulation of search results. Changes can also cause the “Ads by DNSUnlocker” to appear as part of other malware.
As you can see, DNS Unlocker easily gets into the computer even without your permission. When you find it annoying and wanted to get rid of it, the adware will not allow you to perform such. Adware has locked itself onto your system and will require complex removal process to get deleted.
Online Security Scanner Report for dnsunlocker.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Feb. 07, 2016|
|Suspicious||Feedback: Adware/Malware||Updated: Feb. 07, 2016|
|Currently safe||Feedback: 3 Negative||Updated: Feb. 07, 2016|
How to Remove DNS Unlocker Pop-up
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall DNS Unlocker
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove DNS Unlocker entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to DNS Unlocker. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted DNS Unlocker from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of DNS Unlocker on the affected browser.
Step 4 : Remove DNS Unlocker data from Network Settings
1. Go to Start > Control Panel.
2. Click on View network status and tasks.
3. Click on the current connection to display network connection status. In this case, DNS Unlocker made changes to Wireless Network Connection.
4. Click on Properties button to display Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection properties.
5. Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
6. Make sure that it is set to ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ and ‘Obtain DNS server automatically’.
7. Click OK button to save the changes. You have just removed DNS Unlocker settings from your network properties.
Step 5 : Clean Google Chrome DNS Cache
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. In the address bar, please type chrome://net-internals/#dns
3. Click on the Clear host cache button to remove any cache related to DNS Unlocker.
Step 6 : Remove DNS Unlocker Data from Google Chrome
1. On Google Chrome browser, type chrome://settings/clearBrowserData on the address bar.
2. Click on Clear browsing data to remove any information that are relevant to DNS Unlocker.
Procedures to Remove DNS Unlocker Adware from Mac
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to DNS Unlocker
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located DNS Unlocker, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed DNS Unlocker
1. Navigate to the location given below and move the item to the Trash.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the DNS Unlocker to be present on your Mac.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including DNS Unlocker.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, DNS Unlocker is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.