Searchnu.com hijacks the home page of the browser right after an adware ins installed on the computer. Generally, adware are spread targeting Windows operating system. It aims in infecting browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. In some cases, Safari is also a concern of adware makers.
In the case of searchnu.com, attackers are enveloping the code with tools like FLV Player, Internet Booster, and fake Java and Flash update. This is so far the most used scheme by cyber criminals. Adware, malware, and other unwanted programs will dress-up as normal software to cheat computer users. Deadly threats linked to searchnu.com includes JS/Downloader, I-Worm/Nimda, and Execute/Scremu.
When PC is compromised with searchnu.com related adware, it is noticeable that searches always redirect to the mentioned URL. It can also supersede the current home page setup, replacing it with a search box from searchnu.com. Pop-up ads, link hijacking and other bothering doings can also be witnessed on the computer.
Given that searchnu.com spreads through malicious links, you can easily counter the attack by installing a program that checks inbound and outbound traffic from the computer. Be wise when using the Internet. As much as possible, download only programs from rightful providers to avoid infection.
Online Security Scanner Report for searchnu.com:
This test suggests that searchnu.com is safe. However, this does not validate that the entire domain and activities are harmless. So far, searchnu.com is involved in home page hijacking. The search page from this site utilizes a legitimate search engine from Ask.
|No Issues||Community Rating: 1.2/5.0||Updated: May 31, 2017|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No data||Updated: May 31, 2017|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Updated: May 31, 2017|
How does searchnu.com enters a computer?
As stated above, adware is using deceptive scheme to get into your computer. You may allow malicious code to be injected into the computer by downloading free programs where adware is enclosed. You may not see it, but installing freeware gives some adware a chance to enter the PC.
How to Remove searchnu.com (Uninstall Procedures)
Stage 1: Remove Rootkit and Virus from the Computer
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit as well as malware that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from this page. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
2. Once the download completes, double-click the file to install the program on the computer. It will update the database once installations has finished. Internet connection is required at this point.
3. After downloading necessary updates, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
4. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below. Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to searchnu.com. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted searchnu.com from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of searchnu.com on the affected browser.
Stage 4: Cleanup Internet Browser’s Shortcut Link
One method that starts your home page to unwanted address like searchnu.com is by integrating the link to browser’s shortcut link. On this section, we will discuss the proper removal of unwanted entries on shortcut link.
Cleaning Internet Explorer’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Internet Explorer and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Internet Explorer.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to searchnu.com. Please refer to image below.
Cleaning Google Chrome’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Google Chrome and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Google Chrome.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to searchnu.com. Please see image below for your reference.
Cleaning Mozilla Firefox’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Mozilla Firefox and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Mozilla Firefox.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to searchnu.com. See screenshot image below.