i.search.metacrawler.com belongs to the group of adware that redirects home page to the said domain or URL. Bundling its code to free software is the main way to deploy this adware. Though it is not the only way, users may also acquire i.search.metacrawler.com hijacker from its own web site. Some users were deceived to download and install the said program. Attackers voluntarily installs the software without their idea that it can do some harm on the computer.
Media players, free tools, Internet download manager, and free games are the core programs where i.search.metacrawler.com is wrapped. This makes adware maker to distribute the unwanted program quickly and easily. Do not blame your antivirus program for not detecting the loading of i.search.metacrawler.com adware because as mentioned, it is not a virus.
i.search.metacrawler.com was used to endorse products and services affiliated with it. In short, it was inclined to online advertising. This is the reason why you will witness bunch of advertisements floating on the page. Similarly, you will also view these ads on result page when using Metacrawler Search.
Due to the identified web monitoring and data gathering stage by i.search.metacrawler.com, security experts inform computer users must remove this browser hijacker right away. Your privacy is at stake for having i.search.metacrawler.com inside the computer.
Online Security Scanner Report for i.search.metacrawler.com:
|No Issues||Community Rating: 2.7/5.0||Updated: Nov 21, 2013|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No issues||Updated: Nov 21, 2013|
|Surf with caution||Ratings: 2 Likes, 1 Dislikes||Updated: Nov 21, 2013|
i.search.metacrawler.com Removal Procedure
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like i.search.metacrawler.com. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to i.search.metacrawler.com. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to i.search.metacrawler.com. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove i.search.metacrawler.com Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted i.search.metacrawler.com from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of i.search.metacrawler.com on the affected browser.