RotatorBox app is an adware with specific characteristics of implanting malicious code on internet browser application as part of its illicit operations. It is unknown to Mac user but they play part in the installation of RotatorBox through the acquisition of malicious software bundles. These kinds of questionable free software are normally obtainable from doubtful sites like file download servers and torrent portals.
When web user runs the setup procedure of the suspicious freeware, they do not aware that RotatorBox is also installing in the background. Attackers intentionally made this discreet loading of their code to prevent Mac users from thwarting the process. Therefore, RotatorBox was able to set off an effortless installation through the secrete carrier, which are dubious freeware and shareware.
Ads by RotatorBox
The presence of RotatorBox app is indeed an annoyance to Mac user’s online browsing activities. It manifests various kinds of advertisements especially aggressive pop-ups and redirects. To support this profit generation through advertising revenue, makers of RotatorBox also incorporates tracking codes to the adware that will allow it to collect information relating to online browsing activities and this includes the following:
- Mac user’s favorite websites
- Most visited online pages and URL
- Search terms and keywords as submitted via search engine
- Browser type and version
- Mac user’s geographical location or IP address
- Details of internet service provider
Once people behind RotatorBox app have gathered enough users’ data, they are going to deliver a much focus and personalized advertisements on the internet browser program. Obviously, attackers may level up their profit because there is a higher percentage that user may click on ads and buy from the referred online sellers and service providers.
If not targeted ads, RotatorBox can also exhibit misleading advertisements that can land the browser to malicious sites offering bogus programs like dubious software update (see image above), privacy tools, enhancement applications, or rogue security software. While authors of RotatorBox gains profit from this aggressive approach, web user’s online privacy and security are at risks.
As soon as RotatorBox app or similar adware like AnalyzerWindow and UniversalToolSearch is spotted on the Mac computer, user should immediately execute the removal proceedings. On this page, we are providing simple yet effective guide along with free anti-malware and anti-virus tools that are proven effective in eliminating computer threats like RotatorBox adware.
Procedures to Remove RotatorBox from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like RotatorBox. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing RotatorBox.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete RotatorBox from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find RotatorBox or any unwanted program.
4. Drag RotatorBox to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to RotatorBox
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located RotatorBox, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed RotatorBox
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- RotatorBox Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing RotatorBox to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- RotatorBox Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to RotatorBox adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including RotatorBox.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, RotatorBox is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove RotatorBox from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove RotatorBox from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing RotatorBox. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace RotatorBox settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by RotatorBox. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select RotatorBox or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with RotatorBox.