Infection with adware is a common cause of abrupt and unwelcome modifications to browser programs. Be aware that while we formerly believed that Macs were protected from adware and other potentially unwanted programs (PUP), this attack is not just affecting PC users. RidgeWorld is an illustration of adware that was created to get into browsers running on Mac computers. This browser threat was created to make money by displaying several advertising of varying sizes and forms. In other cases, it starts an aggressive pop-up that leads to malicious websites on browser pages.
Effects of the adware RidgeWorld
After installing the RidgeWorld program on a Mac, the user will get intrusive pop-up advertising in the browser. Adware may also function as a redirect scheme, sending browser pages to strange, predetermined websites such as adult-oriented pages, gambling websites, phishing sites, and so forth. It is obvious that the presence of RidgeWorld causes Mac users’ web browsing habits to become overly distracted. RidgeWorld will harm your computer as a result, and the affected internet program may warn.
RidgeWorld app has data monitoring technologies that can track users’ surfing patterns in order to achieve its goal of collecting cash. It’s questionable whether or not this approach to monitoring web users’ activity won’t result in privacy theft. Computer security experts have discovered that the entire family of adware to which RidgeWorld belongs collects personally identifiable data and resells it to third parties as a means of generating additional income. Sadly, those “third parties” might actually be members of an unofficial network of hackers or cybercriminal organizations that engage in online phishing and fraud.
Keeping RidgeWorld away
Since it is common knowledge that RidgeWorld adware is frequently distributed through malicious software bundles, the first line of defense is to avoid downloading freeware from dubious websites. Having a reliable and effective anti-virus and anti-malware program is undoubtedly advantageous, but it is not free. Being extremely cautious online is the only free way to protect a Mac computer against RidgeWorld or any adware attack.
If RidgeWorld has managed to infiltrate the computer and has begun to interfere with browser functionality, Mac users should start the removal process right away. We created a straightforward guide along with free virus and malware removal tools on this page to aid in the efficient removal of the RidgeWorld browser threat.
Procedures to Remove RidgeWorld from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like RidgeWorld. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing RidgeWorld.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete RidgeWorld from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find RidgeWorld or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag RidgeWorld to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to RidgeWorld
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located RidgeWorld, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed RidgeWorld
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Ridge World
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing RidgeWorld to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Ridge World
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to RidgeWorld adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including RidgeWorld.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, RidgeWorld is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove RidgeWorld from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove RidgeWorld from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing RidgeWorld. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace RidgeWorld settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by RidgeWorld. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select RidgeWorld or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with RidgeWorld.