Mac users have occasionally been tricked into installing a useless program called ResultsDisplay by enhancement apps that claim to improve web browsing and searching. It functions as a browser extension on the computer and has the ability to modify many settings even without the consent of Mac users. ResultsDisplay has the ability to change the homepage and search configuration in a way that completely ignores user preferences.
ResultsDisplay was classified by Mac security analysts as a potentially unwanted application (PUA) and was modeled after earlier browser threats like OperativeHandler and UniversalDisplay. Because the developers of this questionable browser extension use dishonest methods to inject ResultsDisplay into browser programs like Safari, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox, it deserves to be included in this group.
ResultsDisplay Schema for Distribution
According to our observations, the perpetrators of ResultsDisplay are employing the following strategies to trick web visitors into downloading and installing the harmful application:
- ResultsDisplay is incorporated into a number of shareware packages that are hosted on different file-sharing and pirate websites. If a Mac user purchases and installs such a software package on their computer, there is a high probability that the ResultsDisplay will load. Although it is installed as freeware, Mac users cannot see it.
- Advertisements that are too intrusive to ignore – A lot of websites are promoting a dubious browser extension called ResultsDisplay. The threat is endorsed via pop-ups that originate from the aforementioned websites as a legitimate and beneficial browser extension that improves the online surfing and search experience for Mac users. Some people were duped into installing ResultsDisplay freely as a result of this alluring marketing without realizing that it could create irregularities in their browsers.
- False software update – Several rogue websites may greet online users with pop-up notifications that resemble operating system alerts, as demonstrated in the image below. It poses as a legitimate system alert and claims to have found out-of-date apps. The recommendation to download an update is then given, which in fact installs ResultsDisplay adware.
An Internet browser application running on a Mac computer is the target of the dubious browser extension ResultsDisplay. Although it is marketed as a useful utility, our own analysis shows that it is actually an adware threat disguised as a browser extension. After installation, it starts a variety of browser annoyances like pop-up windows and page redirects that lead to dubious locations. Additionally, Mac users’ browsing actions that may compromise their privacy can be tracked by ResultsDisplay.
There is no use in ignoring the presence of ResultsDisplay on the browser after it displays various criminal behaviors toward the infected computer. As soon as you can, get rid of it to restore privacy and security. The section after that contains a useful manual for getting rid of ResultsDisplay.
Procedures to Remove ResultsDisplay from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like ResultsDisplay. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing ResultsDisplay.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete ResultsDisplay from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find ResultsDisplay or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag ResultsDisplay to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to ResultsDisplay
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located ResultsDisplay, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed ResultsDisplay
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing ResultsDisplay to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to ResultsDisplay adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including ResultsDisplay.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and ResultsDisplay is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove ResultsDisplay from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove ResultsDisplay from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the ResultsDisplay setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace ResultsDisplay settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by ResultsDisplay. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select ResultsDisplay or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with ResultsDisplay.