Normally, the appearance of “Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses” is caused by malicious website that was published by cyber crooks to mislead Mac users about the current security state of their Mac system. The objective is to persuade web users to download a copy of MacCleaner. Apparently, users who follow the online instructions ended up having the suspicious program Cleanup My Mac on their computer.
On some instances, the appearance of “Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses” is not because of visited websites especially if the pop-up gradually appears on the computer. This can be a case of adware infection that corrupts the browser application leading to timely execution of “Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses” pop-up at specific interval. In this situation, computer security analysts suggest that cleaning the computer is the only solution to stop the aggressive pop-ups.
In general, the pop-up “Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses” is a scare tactics by cyber crooks to swindle money from Mac users by forcing them to purchase a worthless security and optimization tool. Therefore, seeing the pop-up is a sign of imminent computer risk. Closing the window and running a full scan of anti-virus and anti-malware tools is recommended to make sure that computer is free of malware. Also, avoid visiting sites that produces the fake security alerts and blocking their web address from internet software is similarly important to prevent infection.
Procedures to Remove "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses" from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses". You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses".
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses".
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses" is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses". If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Step 2 : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses". The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Clear the Safari Internet Browser (Mac)
1. Open your Safari browser application.
2. In the Safari menu, click on Preferences from the drop-down list.
3. On the Preferences window, please select the Privacy tab.
4. Click on the Manage Website Data button.
5. Select an unwanted entry, like "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses" and click the Remove button. If you choose to Remove All, you may be logged out of your most visited websites and online services. Therefore, we advise removing suspicious items one at a time to prevent changing your behavior towards your favorite websites.
6. If it prompts you, please confirm your actions.
7. Next, we will need to clear the Cache. Back in the Safari Preferences window, choose the Advanced tab.
8. Navigate to the bottom and activate the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
9. Go to the Safari menu, choose Develop from the drop-down list, and click on Empty Caches.
10. The next thing to do is restore the Homepage to your preference and remove the one from "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses".
11. Back in the Safari Preferences window, click on the General tab.
12. Under the Homepage section, type your desired URL to be the default start-up page.
13. Lastly, make sure to have the right Search Engine.
14. Go back to the Safari Preferences window and click on the Search tab.
15. Select your desired Search tool under the Search Engine section.
16. You may now restart the Safari browser.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to its default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extensions, such as "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses". This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty removing unwanted extensions.
1. Open the Google Chrome internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press the Enter key.
3. Click on Reset Settings on the sidebar and choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. On the confirmation window, click the Reset settings button to clear all entries for "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses".
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed the "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses" extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extensions from Firefox that may be related to "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses". This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only a specific extension, please see the manual removal of add-ons from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on the Firefox web address and press Enter on the keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section in the upper-right corner of the screen stating, Give Firefox a tune-up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If a confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. "Your System is seriously damaged, found viruses" should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.