Wowphones.site is an intrusive pop-up that is purporting to be a very important announcement. Users typically see this advertisement upon paying a visit to suspicious websites that are involved in publishing questionable advertisements in its sole objective of generating online profit. People behind these web sites do not bother whether the ads can cause harm to web user’s browser programs and computer system. Much more, online safety and security of web users are totally disregarded.
On the screenshot image below, it is clear that Wowphones.site is attempting to mislead users with the following content:
Congratulations! You are one of the 100 users that we selected to receive the chance to win an Apple iPhone XS, Apple iPhone 11 Pro, or iPad Pro…
You have 4 minutes to answer the following questions before we give your gift to another happy user.
Questionnaire that Wowphones.site is referring to is indeed a survey form that may request the submission of crucial personal information like full name, location, email-address, phone number, and so on. Actually, this is the same bogus survey form from similar dubious sites as Takeprize-here.life and Financial-success-today.com. The definite purpose of these evaluations was simply to collect personal details from web users. Whatever prizes and benefits these sites reveals has no assurance. In fact, no web users can claim that they were able to collect rewards from such online arrangement.
In reality, Wowphones.site is a malicious page that utilizes several types of dishonest advertising scheme to reach computer users. Aside from maliciously collecting and exploiting user’s data, Wowphones.site is also an annoyance to ones online browsing activity. It displays relentless push notifications on the browser that when clicked, may open-up a native browser window linking to various harmful sites. So, the recommendation is to immediately stop Wowphones.site pop-ups and notification using the procedures below.
Procedures to Remove Wowphones.site from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Wowphones.site. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Wowphones.site.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Wowphones.site
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Wowphones.site or any suspicious objects, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Wowphones.site.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Wowphones.site is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Delete Wowphones.site Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Wowphones.site during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Wowphones.site.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Wowphones.site or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 5: Block Wowphones.site Pop-up Notification from Google Chrome
The small box appearing on sidebar or taskbar bearing the web address of Wowphones.site is called Push Notifications. Most of the time, removing the browser extension that enforces it is enough to stop the pop-ups. Hence, if Wowphones.site pop-ups persistently appears, this guide is helpful in blocking it manually.
1. On the address bar, please type the following strings and press Return on keyboard:
2. Navigate to "Allow" section and locate Wowphones.site.
3. Click on More Actions button (3 dots) and select Block from the list. You may also choose Remove but blocking is more preferred to avoid encountering the same in the future.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Wowphones.site. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select Wowphones.site or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Wowphones.site.