Words-Surf is an ad supported program that was purposely made to gain online profit. It comes from various online sources. Primarily, adware like this are deployed using freeware. It employs software-bundling scheme which spreads the adware without user’s detection. By packing the malicious code onto valid programs, most computer users are unaware of its installation.
To give user the ability to sing-along with every music videos they are watching on Youtube is the selling point of Words-Surf. However, the main goal of this adware is to generate profit by displaying ads once victim use it as browser extension. This application was made available for browsers such as Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Modifications are done on browser program so that Words-Surf will load as browser helper object. Home page and start-up page will show unwanted search engine. New tabs may also show the same signs.
Resetting your browser to its default value may never help in removing Words-Surf totally. It will carry on with its operation and issue excessive advertisements like pop-ups, banners, and links. Above all, Words-Surf exposes your online data to attacker. The adware may record your browsing activities like surfing habit, web site visited, key words, and other online credentials.
It is crucial to remove Words-Surf when presence is observed on your computer. If resetting your browser to default settings is not effective, we highly suggest that you scan the system with anti-virus and anti-malware tools. Complete guide to remove Words-Surf is presented on this page.
Online Security Scanner Report for words-surf.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Sept. 16, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Sept. 16, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Sept. 16, 2016|
How to Remove Words-Surf
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Words-Surf
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Words-Surf entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Words-Surf. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Words-Surf Add-on/Extension and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Words-Surf from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Words-Surf on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Words-Surf
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Words-Surf. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Google Chrome to Remove Words-Surf
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Words-Surf. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down to bottom, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings button to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Words-Surf. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also run Chrome Cleanup function from this page. An integrated tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Words-Surf.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Words-Surf should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Words-Surf and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.