Web Genie is a Google Chrome extension that claims to make users browsing experience safer and faster. It asserts to provide these attribute by clearing and deleting private data. Web Genie also offers other functions like clearing cookies, cache, and history. It can also help user manage downloads, extensions, and provide internet speed test.
Web Genie is invasive in a manner that it does not disclose full ability when installed. Users are normally not aware that installing this extension may modify browser settings. Web Genie replaces homepage and starts it with questionable web address like Newtab.getwebgenie.org. Same thing will happen to new tab and default search engine. Therefore, all online search inquiries of users are redirected to Newtab.getwebgenie.org before revealing the final outcome on Yahoo Search.
Image below shows the effect of Web Genie on Google Chrome browser. It is clear that it adds toolbar utilities including Manage Downloads, Clear Cache, Clear Cookies, Clear History, Manage Extensions, Manage Passwords, and Speed Test. Obviously, most of these functions are already built-in to the browser, so we find it just a redundancy features.
For us, it is much better and safer to surf the web without Web Genie. After all, it is not as useful as how it is projected on its own website. Additionally, Newtab.getwebgenie.org will stop hijacking the homepage and search inquiries if this unwanted extension is deleted from the browser. For a full guide to remove Web Genie, please see the special section below.
Online Security Scanner Report for newtab.getwebgenie.org:
|Not yet tested||Feedback: No data||Updated: Dec. 01, 2018|
|Unverified||Feedback: No data||Updated: Dec. 01, 2018|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Updated: Dec. 01, 2018|
How to Remove Web Genie
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Remove Web Genie from Google Chrome
We are presenting various options to remove Web Genie from Google Chrome browser using only internal functions and approach. Most of browser annoyances can be fixed via these processes. If Web Genie persists after executing these steps, it is better to run anti-malware scan as suggested below.
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Web Genie from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete WebGenie New Tab by clicking on Remove or Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Web Genie removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Web Genie. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar, please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Web Genie. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Option 3 – Use Google Chrome Clean Up Feature
1. On Google Chrome address bar, input this string: chrome://settings/cleanup and then press Enter on keyboard.
2. Click Find button to start scanning the computer.
Step 2 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Web Genie
The main cause of homepage hijacking and browser redirect could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Web Genie entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with MBAM Tool
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to Web Genie.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including Web Genie and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Web Genie. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.