Browser hijackers are potentially unwanted programs (PUP) that can carry out unusual modification on internet browser settings. It normally assigns a malicious web address on the browser. The existing default search engine, home page, and the new tab window will bear these changes and it is just part of the many issues, which Weather Waves adware can deliver.
About Weather Waves
Weather Waves is a kind of browser hijacker that is presently hosted on Weatherwaves.co. It sets the same address to be the new default setting on infected browser program. Weather Waves will be able to display intrusive advertisements. Usually, these annoying ads overlap the contents of web pages that web users are browsing. Moreover, Weather Waves can run pop-ups and redirects promoting dubious websites. One click on that ad page can redirect the browser to the actual web page where there is an imminent computer infection.
Weather Waves Infection
Weather Waves is somewhat a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that can infiltrate into computers without the user’s consent. Presence of Weather Waves adware will make the computer’s function different from its common operations. It definitely affects the computer’s performance and accuracy. The usual speed of the internet and browsing becomes sluggish due to excessive pop-ups and redirects. Aside from that, the browser will unable to deliver accurate and reliable results. Instead, Weather Waves will provide search results that are not relevant to user’s online queries. In addition, Weather Waves presents web visitors to malicious web pages having unexpected contents that may lead to malware infection.
Spying the computer to locate significant details is the most serious effect of Weather Waves. Adware developers designed Weather Waves containing spyware to support its operations. Such private information has the possibility to reach cyber criminals and misuse it for illegal online revenue generation purposes. To make it short, the existence of Weather Waves on the computer can lead to privacy problems.
Weather Waves Sources
PC users should make sure to download software from official websites. Unsafe sites tend to endorse freeware integrating unwanted programs like Weather Waves or similar malicious browser extension as Map Assist, My Inbox Hub, and Easy Radio Player. Through bundling techniques, Weather Waves can possibly enter the computer without the permission from computer users. There are installers that include PUP, or any sort of malware on the installation process. Online users might agree to install these certain kind of unwanted software by proceeding with the default setup process. Therefore, carefully checking the adware and running the installation via “Custom” method is recommended to avoid adware infection.
Weather Waves Removal Procedure for PC
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Weather Waves.
Remove Weather Waves Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Weather Waves or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Weather Waves Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Weather Waves and remove it from the browser.
Remove Weather Waves Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Weather Waves from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Weather Waves is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Weather Waves or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2: Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MB3-Setup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. At the last stage of installation process, click Finish to run the program.
5. On Malwarebytes Anti-Malware console, select Scan from the menu to see available Scan Method.
6. Next, click on Threat Scan. This is the most comprehensive scan method that will surely find any hidden items linked to Weather Waves.
7. Click Start Scan button to begin checking the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
Step 3: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Weather Waves on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Weather Waves.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Weather Waves.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Step 4: Remove Weatherwaves.co Pop-up Notification
These procedures in stopping Weatherwaves.co pop-up notification may only be effective if relevant extension do not exist on the browser. If ever there is a relevant extension currently installed, this push notification configuration will reinstate during browser start-up. So, make sure that you have removed any malicious extension from the browser before executing the following steps.
For Google Chrome Users
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following strings in the address box and press Enter on your keyboard: chrome://settings/content/notifications
3. Navigate to “Allow” section and find Weatherwaves.co from the list.
4. Click on More Actions and select Block from the options.
5. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
For Mozilla Firefox Users
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser program.
2. Type the following strings on address bar and press Enter on keyboard: about:preferences#privacy
3. Under Permissions section, click on Settings button beside Notifications.
4. Look for Weatherwaves.co and set the status to Block.
5. Lastly, click Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox browser.