Vesrato ransomware is categorically a very hazardous computer threat that inflicts harmful changes to system and seriously spoils majority of files. This threat arises from STOP malware family that is very infamous for infecting millions of computers worldwide. It has actually numerous variants like Pedro, Nacro, and Coharos. As of latest tally by malware researcher Michael Gillespie, Vesrato ransomware is the 150th adaptation.
All viruses from this ransomware clan are spreading rapidly with the help of the attacker’s preferential spam email campaign. Via this deceitful scheme, makers of Vesrato easily convince recipients to read or open the email attachment by disguising as inquiry from prominent organization. This simple execution leads to unfavorable initialization of malicious code, which is actually a Vesrato ransomware virus. It then begins searching local storage for files like documents, spreadsheets, databases, photos, images, videos, drawings, archives, and so on. After exploring the contents of the computer, Vesrato immediately encrypts all possible targets with a complex algorithm and make it inaccessible right away. Aside from the encryption method, another way for attacker to disassociate target files from computer programs is by appending it with .vesrato extension. Therefore, photo.jpg will become photo.jpg.vesrato after the encryption process.
There is a chance for computer users to regain access to encrypted data but this instant solution, which is offered by Vesrato authors themselves, is too expensive. The cost for private key and decryption software is $980. Though, it can be reduced to $490 if victims can transmit the payment within the given grace period of 72 hours.
Unknown to victims, there is an alternative Vesrato decryption tool called STOPdecrypter. However, this application only works with files that are recoverable with offline keys. During the time of encryption, Vesrato ransomware communicates to remote command-and-control server to obtain a unique key but if problems arise from this connection, it will instead resort to offline key that is hard-coded to the virus itself. More about this alternative Vesrato recovery method and effective virus removal is the topic on next segment.
How to Remove Vesrato Ransomware
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove Vesrato virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
Though affected files may be impossible to decrypt due to complexity of the encryption, you can still try recovery method like alternative tool, Shadow Explorer or Previous Version as described below.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Anti-Malware Tool
1. Download free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Carry out the installation with default setup process.
4. After the installation process, click the Get Started button to launch the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On the main console, click on Scan to run most complete detection method to find hidden objects associated to Vesrato ransomware.
7. Scanning may take a while. Please wait until the anti-malware tool is done with the checking.
8. Once the scan has completed, the tool will display the list of detected threats. Remove all identified malicious items and restart the computer if necessary.
Stage 2: Double-check for Vesrato’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Vesrato ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Vesrato ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Vesrato ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files with Vesrato Decryption Tool
So far, this Vesrato decryption tool works only for files that were encrypted using offline keys. This happens sometimes if the virus is unable to communicate to remote server to obtain unique keys; instead, it will use offline keys when encrypting files. However, there is a little chance of recovering files using this tool due to limited available offline keys that were integrated with this decryption tool.
For additional information (download link, supported versions, instructions) about StopDecrypter, please proceed to ransomware decryption tool archive page.
If you received a message stating that “No keys were found for the following IDs (.vesrato)”, please copy and submit the information to the official download page to include your information (log file) and have it archive in case decryption software becomes available.
We will update this section once the full decryption tool is on hand. In the meantime, please try other options below.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to Vesrato ransomware infection. To use this tool and recover files affected by the virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current encrypted files on the computer.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by Vesrato Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by Vesrato ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to Vesrato ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export…
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.